SS and the IRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS and the IRS

Hi. My husband is awaiting the decision from his hearing a few weeks ago. He owes the IRS about $16,000 in back taxes. The IRS has agreed to stop all attempts to collect from us due to economic hardship (he has not worked in over a year) but they have also put a lien on all our assets. I was wondering, if he does indeed receive disability benefits can the IRS take his back pay? I understand that they can take up to 15% of his monthly check but their website said nothing about backpay.

Interesting question, TheCaltons. The IRS talks about levying Social Security payments at
    http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...100539,00.html

Also, SSA's POMS is chock full of information regarding the levy process, however, I didn't see anything at first blush concerning the specific question that you have. This is something that I would need to research and get back to you if I find an answer.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X