Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apply now or later?

Rich

Would it be advisable to apply for SSI now, while I am still able to have some income, or should I wait until I am not able to continue doing my present job?

I am working full time, night shift right now, but as soon as my employer discovers that I frequently walk like a drunken sailor and my leg sometimes just 'gives out' and I can't move for a minute or so, I'm sure I will be terminated. I drive a taxi and any dysfunction with my legs will be considered a safety issue, so I can understand the decision they will make. I have not informed my employer that I have MS.

I will be 60 years old this year, and for at least the past 6 years my employment has been as a driver, either school bus, taxi, or transportation for the disabled. Prior to becoming a driver, I did some computer work, but do not have a degree or any recent job experience in any type of computer industry, so the my prospects would be very limited, if not nonexistent in that field.

I am always tired and take Ritalin for fatugue, which helps somewhat. I work for a small company and there are no other positions or shifts available to my seniority level, so I am stuck on this shift. I am comtemplating asking to go to part time working 4 days a week but I'm not sure the company will allow this.

Fatigue, gait problems, and muscle weakness are my major MS problems. I have to use a cart at the grocery store to keep from falling down after walking for awhile.

Thank you for taking your time here on the board.
    Echo
    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

If you are working full time then you can't apply and keep working, there are some rules regarding p/t work but Rich will have to answer those questions for you.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Hello, Echo2099. First of all, so sorry to hear about your illness and all of your symptoms.

As scooter said, if you are working and earning too much money, over $1,010/month (year 2012) as a non-blind employee, before considering out of pocket medical expenses, you are considered to be engaging in Substantial Gainful Activity and ineligible to apply for benefits. So that's kind of tough, I know, because it really is not much money. Unfortunately, those are SSA's rules.

If you do have reduce your hours under that amount or have to stop working totally, then you can consider applying for benefits.

There is some strategy and planning involved in deciding when is the best time to apply.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
      X