Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSDI approved first time - other income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI approved first time - other income?

Was diagnosed with MS five years ago, and was working full time as computer director at veterinary hospital. Continued working until fall of 2010 when during a simple surgical procedure to relieve pressure on nerve I wound up with permanent damage to spinal cord. Since then I have had 4 flares, most recently resulting in hospitaliztion. My employer still seeks out my help/advice on issues, and is only a few miles from home. They have maintained my coverage in the group health plan, and after short term ndisability ended and I stareted to collect Long Term Disability payments I paid the full cost of my coverage directly to my employer so as not to lose health insurance.

I read an article about types of income that the IRS cannot touch, and health insurance was one ...so that if you asked your employer to pay your health care costs, it was not reportable as income for employee and employer would not have to pay payroll tax on the amount of the premium, which would also then be deductible. sounds like a win win situation.

My husband works, however his health insurance is not as comprehensive as mine which is why I continued with this plan. By the end of this month I should reach my deductible and out of pocket limits....

I know pension income does not affect SSDI payments...any idea on how this would impact them? My employer says fine, but payroll person is saying no.

thanks for guidance...
    Eileenb
    "If it is to be it is up to me" Gertrude Tyne

Hi, Eileen. I am not sure of the answer to this. This is something that I would have to research. You may wish to start with the Social Security Admin just to see what they say.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X