Not sure where to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where to start

I am 37 years old and was dx with MS 3 years ago. The last few months I seem to be getting worse, and am debating wether its time to leave my job and stay home concentrating on just getting better. Problem is, Im not sure were or how to begin this process or what I would be even eligible to apply for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Karen

You can do it online or in person at your local social security office. If you do it in person I suggest you to the online site and read which documents they will need from you beforehand.

You also need to decide if you plan on applying by yourself or with representation. If you decide to have representation they will get 25 % of your back pay up to $6,000, but you will statistically have a better chance of being approved. I decided to be represented because I have a lot of cognitive difficulties and didn't want the stress. Good luck!

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability/
    I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will probably have someone to represent me because like you said due to cognitive issues that could be a struggle for me. Im not really sure how "bad" my MS needs to get before I apply. I do have my good days and bad days. I am working p/t now, but that seems to get harder each day.

Comment

I highly recommend allsup.com, they did all the work for me. Yes, you pay a percentage of the back pay you get, but it was worth it to me.

This sounds trite, but you will know inside yourself when it's time to apply. My point came when I was "let go" from a relatively easy job. I had to carry a notebook all the time to write down instructions from my supervisor, and was always asking for clarification. Then I had a nasty relapse, which I personally think was the reason they dismissed me (could never prove it though...).

Anyway, I figured if I couldn't do THAT job, it was time to stop trying. I was approved rather quickly. Best Wishes!

~Kim in NV
        ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

Hi, Karent and everyone. Karen - you ask a question that a lot of people ask - where to begin. Well, some basics. For non-blind employees in the year 2012 if you are earning over $1,010/month before taxes, Social Security says that you are engaging in "Substantial Gainful Activity," that is, working, and cannot apply. Working part-time can often exceed this amount and it is not a lot to survive on in this day and age.

If you are not working at the SGA level, the issue then becomes whether or not you are disabled under the law. SSA considers, for adults, in this order:
          1. Are you engaging in SGA, as mentioned above;
          2. Do you have a severe, medically-determinable impairment or impairments;
          3. Does your impairment meet or medically equal one of SSA's Listings (listed impairments in their regulations, including MS);
          4. If no Listing is met or equaled, can you perform your past relevant work (PRW) giving your "residual functional capacity" (RFC) (what you still can do given all the functional limitations caused by your impairments); and
          5. If you cannot PRW, is there any other work that you can perform given your age, education, past work experience and RFC?

If the answer to # 3 is yes or the answer to # 5 no, one qualifies.

So there you have it; clear as mud, right? Well, there's a lot more involved in answering these questions, of course; what would you expect from the law. In fact, there is case law (federal case law at the federal district court, appeals court and U.S. Supreme Court levels) governing these claims.

But don't despair, there are many competent lawyers out there who represent claimants, although a representative does not have to be an attorney to represent claimants in these matters. I don't believe that Allsup is a law firm, although they may employ attorneys.

So these are just some considerations. I really should write an article about considerations involved in deciding whether to file for benefits; I think it would be very useful for people.

Rich
          Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

so just to clarify, can you be diagnosed with ms and be working part time and still get ssi if you do not make $1010 before taxes?

Comment

Technically, yes, denise999. SSA would consider your work activities, however, in determining whether or not you are disabled.

Rich
              Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
              X