Applying for SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying for SS

I have been on STD from my company and plan to go on LTD in March. The company group policy I have is with Guardian Insurance and my premiums are paid after tax. I will be 62 in April and was online yesterday filing for straight Social Security early retirement at 62. I don't know whether to answer y or n to the question about sickness in the past 14 months or ultimate death. Saying yes would trigger me into SSDI. I do not know if my policies have offsets for SSDI and none for SS, or both. Anyone been through this before. My doctor states I would qualify for disability no problem. I do not plan to work any longer.

Something else to look at is the $ you will rcv for early retirement vs disability.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Hello, Fred. LTD policies often have offset provisions, that is, your LTD carrier may require you to apply for Social Security disability benefits as a requirement of receiving LTD benefits. One can receive early retirement benefits at age 62 and still apply for Social Security disability insurance benefits. If you are approved for Social Security disability insurance benefits, your benefit amount will increase.

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
      X