I guess I have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I have a question

I am thinking about getting a lawyer to help me but thought maybe I can ask here 1st. I have been trying to get a job for a while now but I have come to realize I can't do any of the jobs. I have been Diagnosed now for almost 5 years and getting worse by the day.

I have excellent health insurance through my husbands work so I wouldn't need that from the state. I have not worked in over 8 years really. How would I know if I qualify for anything and how do you know how much money you would bring in? It is kind of scary because I have 2 kids and I was counting on going back to work once they were old enough to be in school (which they are now)

I guess my question is is it worth me hiring a lawyer?!?!?

Thank you
    Heidi

Do you receive an annual statement from SSA. the Personnal Earnings and Benefits Estimate (PEBES)?
    If you have 20 quarters of coverage, i.e., 20 3-month periods when you earned income reported to social security and subject to OASDI (Old Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance) deductions, you are insured in your own right. You also might have insured status on the basis of your husband's account. (I haven't done the benefits side of the house in many years, so I'm not sure about spouse's benies. It might be limited to widows/widowers. Just not sure.)

For you or anyone else reading who truly cannot work in prior or any other job, the best route to getting on the rolls is to sumbit medical evidence that proves you meet the listing for a presumptively disabling impairment. If one does meet the MS listing and has the medical evidence to prove it, the process should be relatvely straightforward, with approval at the State agency level and no need for counsel. Following is the Listing for MS:
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabi...dult.htm#11_09

If at all possible, it's better to work.

Comment

Hello, mommyHeidi and Cate. Yes, it should be easy for truly disabled individuals to win before the state agency (that works up the case for SSA), but more often than not, it is not and individuals must obtain legal counsel to prevail in their claims. MommyHeidi, find out whether you were insured for Disability Insurance benefits and through when (the Date Last Insured). You'd have to establish disability prior to the Date Last Insured for Disability Insurance Benefits. This is a medical and possibly vocational issue. Let me know if you have further questions.

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
      X