Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presently on SSDI -how will trying to collect past due child support affect my income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presently on SSDI -how will trying to collect past due child support affect my income

I have been divorced since 1999. My ex's wages were garnished for child support up until November 2007 when he lost his job and he asked me if I would remove the garnishment order. We were on very civil terms at that time and I agreed. (The divorce took place in Connecticut, we all ended up moving back to New York State in 2004/2005.) I received a letter from Connecticut stating they would grant my request and removed the garnishment, but also made it clear in the letter that this case could be re-opened at any time.

Child support should have continued through to June of 2009. I became permanently disabled as of September 2009. My question is-- now that my income is greatly reduced and even though my ex is still unemployed, do I have any legal rights to try to recoup the monies he has owed me for the child support and for what the divorce decree had stated regarding him being responsible for 1/2 of all co-pays, orthodonic/dental and visual medical costs which almost totals $14,000?

We have always been on civil terms and this would not have come up as an issue until now. Since our daughter is now 20, last year I had asked that he look for a cheap but dependable vehicle for her. He did, and supposedly says that I agreed to pay him for it which he states was $2100.00. The vehicle was a piece of junk that lasted 2 months. Now she is using my car to get back and forth to work. He now has reminded me of the reason I originally divorced him and still insists that I owe him the $2100.00. Do I have any leg to stand on here?? Also he had to add in the dig of "how convenient for you to use your MS as to why you forgot that you said you would pay for the car" This is not why I'm trying to pursue this, but I have to wonder---- Isn't him that really owes me??

***Post broken into paragraphs by Moderator for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print.***

Hi, argosy222. Sorry to hear that you are having current difficulties with your ex. So you are asking whether your ex-spouse owes for child support even though you released him from that obligation? The answer seems obvious, however, I am not in a position to give advice regarding a particular legal situation. To see if there might be any exceptions, you could check with the court or the attorney who represented you in the child support matter. You could also check with a local attorney regarding your legal rights regarding debt on the vehicle.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X