Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Rich

Hi Rich,

I have a question about when is the appropriate time to seek legal help with my disability case. Here is the scoop, when I first applied I lived in Michigan (application date April 12, 2011), but needed to move closer to family so that I could have help, I am numb in both my right and left legs (my neurologist said that because it has lasted for 8 months he does not believe that I will ever get feeling back in my legs), so I can not do much for myself. Anyhow, in the middle of the SSA's investigation, I moved to Arizona. My sister-in-law is a occupational therapist and can help me out when my husband can't be home. So I am now in Arizona's line up to be assigned to a worker for review. Arizona has had my case for 2 months and told me that they have a huge line ahead of me for case assignment. Here's my concern, should I wait to hear from Arizona before going to a lawyer or would it be appropriate for me to hire a lawyer in the middle of my case being reviewed?

Thank you so much for reading this

Hi, tigergrl74. I can only speak from experience. I like to get involved in claims earlier than later in order to try to help win benefits, hopefully sooner than later. For example, I might ask the treating neurologist to prepare a report for the patient/my client, giving his/her opinion as to whether or not the patient is disabled. Sometimes, such a report can help to win a case, if not now, then when the case gets to the hearing level. An attorney can also help by reviewing forms to be submitted to SSA so that they accurately reflect the level of your disability. So although it is a personal choice whether to hire an attorney, I think it is better to get one involved before one is denied, rather than after.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X