SSI eligibility question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSI eligibility question

Is a legal permanent resident who is over 65, is not disabled, lives in a relative's home for free (i.e. does not pay rent and/or utilities), is un-employed and has never worked in the US eligible for SSI benefits ?

I can tell you what I know and then you can wait for the 'experts' to answer

You do not have to have a work history for SSI..It is based on your inability to work due to injury or illness. I believe SSI must be obtained through a doctor. I don't think age is an issue, just the inability to work.
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Thank you, I believe you are correct.

Comment

Hi, gatorbill. At age 65, one can qualify for SSI's old age benefits, but there are citizenship/status issues. I will get back to you once I get a cite.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
        X