Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI 6yr Review

Hi All!

I just got a letter in the mail today telling me that the SSA will be reviewing my case to see if I will continue to receive my SSDI benefits.

There were 6 questions on the form.

Now I am nervous that I won't be re-approved. There hasn't been any improvement. I haven't miraculously recovered, I've been to my neurologist, I've had MRIs, solumedrol, Betaseron, etc. I just remember how hard it was to get my benefits in the first place and I'm scared that it's going to all happen again.

Has anyone been through their review and come out unscathed? How worried should I be? I don't know what I'll do if they take that away. I remember that year when I was trying the first time, and how hard it was to live...

Any advice? Words of encouragement?

Thanks!!!!
    Kelly
    Western Pennsylvania
    diagnosed April 2007
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~Buddah

I understand your nervousness.

A few years ago, I received notice that I was being reviewed after 10 years. Like you, I was so afraid.

I called Social Security and asked if I was in danger.
    A very nice woman said no, I just happened to be the random person selected for review.

There were papers to fill out and I also had to go see an assigned local Dr. from SS.

My DH took me to the assigned Dr. I didn't think it would be wise to drive myself there.
    It's easy for us to forget we look so healthy to the world, usually.
    I made sure to not hide my MS, so I used my cane rather than lean on things like I do so often.
    I didn't wear anything flashy. I tried to dress like I feel on bad days.

I went to their Dr, who was very nice. He did a regular exam on me and asked me some questions, testing my cognitive fog.

I never got a call with the results, so about a month later I called SS again. I was told all was fine.

Hopefully you won't have trouble. Call SS with your concerns. The people there were very kind and really helped me feel better.

Comment

I got the Review Papers after about 7 years on SSDI. Took two days to complete, same papers sent to my Employer (part time). After a couple of weeks I got a letter that I was still Disabled. Interesting since I got SSDI due to a severely broken back in 2002, something that will never get better.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

2-year Review

I just got my letter in the mail, too. October 2009-October 2011: 2-year Review? I was a little confused, but I've never worked since and my MS is getting worse.

Who knows? I'm glad I'm not the only one, but a two-year review with MS seemed strange to me, but it's my first one since I was approved in June 2009.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

It was my understanding an MS disability automatically has a review after 2 years, 3 years, 3 years, then every 7 years after that as long as a person is on disability. Something like that, i'm certain they can change the frequency.

SS has to check in occasionally to make sure the money they are sending is going to a real person...and the person is still alive.

i know when i got my first review i was panicked---it asked if i was better, worse or the same. In all honesty i was better then when i applied but everything was different--there were new symptoms that weren't there when i applied and symptoms that were no longer there and + plus i was not dealing with stress & worry of applying for SSDI so that alone makes my symptoms easier for me to handle.

I believe at the time i came to this site & ask Rich what do i do? Do i have to list how everything is different? How do i answer the question?

Rich posted something like... did you have MS when approved? do you still have MS? Then its the same, this is the government they don't go into that many details.

The 2 reviews I did were completed fast. I got the letter sent it in completed the next day. Got a response within 2 weeks that said social security does not feel my case needs further review at this time but reserves the right to review my case in the future. I did the 2,3 years i expect the next letter in 3 more year years: October 2013.
          After that October 2020. Then my last CDR (continuing disability review) will be in October 2027 after that SSDI coverts to regular age related SS.
          xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

My award letter states my case will be reviewed in 7 yrs. not sure why some are different than others, may have something to do with age not sure.
            Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Hi, everyone. Thanks for your reassuring words for kellygwen. Wishing you all the best, kellygwen. SSA must show that there has been medical improvement sufficient for a claimant to return to work. Mostly, with MS, there is not such improvent. I hope that with more research and improvement in treatment that changes.

Rich
              Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
              X