Getting started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting started?

Can anyone tell me how to start the process for ssdi? Do I have to be out of work due to the MS to possibly collect? The process sounds confusing.... Any info is greatly appreciated.

Allison

http://ssa.gov/applyfordisability/

Good luck! You can start the application online at the Social Security website.
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Hey 59, its not that hard, i applied via the web, and within 6 months i was recieving ssdi, all be some take longer, i personelly believe it depends if your in a red state or blue state

Comment

Hi Allieh59,

I also did my application online and was also approved and receiving benefits within 6 months without an attorney.

It can be an overwhelming process so don't let it stress you out.

I did some research online and found some good forums where I could ask questions and get advice from folks who had already dealt with filling. I don't think I can post links here so I will update my profile to include the information there.

I don't know about red or blue states but I do know I live in one of the states where the 1st time approval rate is low and time to approval is long. My claim fell outside of both if the state norms. The biggest factor in getting approved is medical evidence and making sure your doctor supports your claim is very helpful.

Comment

I live in Georgia. Applied in Dec 2009, was disabled but not diagnosed. Received a denial in June, 2010 and filed an appeal. Was told in January that SS is running 6-9 months behind due to high volumn of applications and appeals. In March, 2011 was notified by a casemanager that she was working on my file. SS sent me to their neurologist on August 29, 2011 and I'm still waiting to hear the outcome.
          I walk with a walker, suffer chronic pain and memory loss, have speech difficulty and chronic fatigue. I am 55 years old and have not worked in two years.
          As you can see from previous posts, it's not possible to guesstimate time frames for processing.

Comment

Hello, Allieh59. Thanks for your question. Let me know if you were just interested learning how to apply or if you have any other specific question.

Rich
            Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Age?

I am reading your post and curious if age makes a difference? I just became unemployed and thank goodness since my MS has been giving me issues lately. Can you start the process while on unemployement?

Thanks for your help

Comment

So, I'm not quite understanding. Can you apply for and possibly be approved for SSDI while you are still employed? I'm starting to have additional primarily cognitive symptoms that are most likely related to MS and that are beginning to impact my job performance more and more. I can't afford to just quit my job and then apply for SSDI, but I also can't afford to either be fired or commit an oversight that could impact me professionally.

Comment

Originally posted by woodstock View Post
                  So, I'm not quite understanding. Can you apply for and possibly be approved for SSDI while you are still employed? I'm starting to have additional primarily cognitive symptoms that are most likely related to MS and that are beginning to impact my job performance more and more. I can't afford to just quit my job and then apply for SSDI, but I also can't afford to either be fired or commit an oversight that could impact me professionally.
                  Please read this, paying attention to the portions regarding SGA:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redboo...sability.htm#6

SGA is used in part to determine eligibility for disability, but once you are determined disabled, you can try returning to work. During the application process, if you can perform SGA, you may not be approved as you can show you can perform some work they they consider to be "substantial" and therefore, are not disabled "enough" to be approved. It's tricky business.

Once approved, you can try to return to the workforce under certain programs, with a trial period in which your disability is reassessed. You can work and receive benefits, however, once you earn above the SGA a certain number of times in a certain time period, they can be stopped altogether with a sort of "grace period" in which your benefits can be reinstated if you again drop below SGA levels and you really aren't able to work.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/work/r...its.html#check

As I said, tricky business. The absolute best thing you can do is consult with a lawyer or SSDI application advocate service like Allsup before taking any steps. Why go through the process of applying and being denied quickly because of something easily dealt with by a representative?

While it's certainly possible to apply yourself, it's far easier if you have someone in your corner to help you better understand the process and make it go as smoothly as possible.It can literally take years for some folks to be approved and others, like myself, are approved in a couple months. There's no way of knowing when or if you'll be approved. Best to have help of some sort in my opinion.

Comment

Lots of good responses here. When I started the process it was overwhelming, but I called our local chapter of NMSS and they sent me a whole packet of exactly what to do...the steps to follow, the actual application, forms for your Doctors to fill out, worksheets, etc. and lots of pertinent and helpful information, quick tips and so much more!!

I found this more helpful than reading and/or applying online. Oh! they also connected me up with other MSer who had already applied. The packet is called "Social Security Disability Benefits: a guide for people living with multiple sclerosis" Give them a call if you're interested and good luck!

p.s. I got accepted with 3 months.
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hello, Woodstock, MrsBones and everyone. Just be careful out there. There is a difference between working after the first year of disability and before your disability has lasted a year. The work rules can get quite tricky and involved. I don't say that to try to put fear into anyone; just talk to an attorney who practices in this area of law, if possible, to go over the work rules as they may apply to your specific situation. Also, there are different rules for employees vs. self-employed individuals.

Rich
                      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

From what I've read on the Social Security website, part of the qualifying factors for SSDI is to have worked 5 out of the past 10 years. The majority of the past ten years (except for a 2 year period three years ago), I have worked as a state employee where I pay into a state employees retirement program and medicare rather than paying into social security.

If I were to apply for SSDI today, is it possible that I would be denied because of this?

Comment

Yes, woodstock, you may not be eligible for SSDI because you may not have paid sufficiently into the Social Security Retirement, Survivors and Disability Insurance program. Based upon what you wrote, your state program opted out. Of course, check with Social Security regarding your specific situation. Good luck!

Rich

Comment

Working...
                          X