difference between ssi and ssdi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

difference between ssi and ssdi

I've been trying to figure out how to appeal my SSDI denial even-though they approved me for ssi. However, I was told that If I submit an appeal for reconsideration on my ssdi, A new case worker will review my case all over again for the very beginning and make a new determination that can end up with my denial for everything, including the ssi that was already approved. In other words I'll end up with nothing!!! I believe I have a strong case for my appeal but I'm worry now. Well, is there anything anyone knows about this that might be able to bring some light to me?

I'm not an attorney but I did stay in a holiday inn express last week, what you were told does not seem correct to me as SSI is needs based and SSDI is based on disability. If your financials haven't changed you should not loose SSI.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Ozambrana,

The answer provided is half correct. Both SSI and SSDI require a disabling condition, however, since SSI is needs based, no work history is required. Work history is a requirement of SSDI.
      So as you can see, most people on SSI are young children, or young adults with insufficient work history for SSDI.

Comment

An appeal on the SSDI decisions should not effect your SSI. You were probably awarded the SSI since your needs are great and they anticipated a denial on the SSDI. Appeal until you get it, you should have a Lawyer. There is no cost for the Lawyer until you get a SSDI award and then they get a percent of the award of back pay, 25%. Once you do get the SSDI they may end the SSI since your income might then be over the limit.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

SSDI is very tricky. if they already denied you, i would look into a disabilty lawyer. it is worth it. they do all the worring and the work. I would not have gotten it if it weren't for her.

Comment

What MAY have happened, Ozam, is that there is a Date Last Insured, in your SSDI claim, meaning, that based upon your work history, you had to establish that your disability commenced by a certain date. There is no Date Last Insured in an SSI claim. So that is one reason why someone can be approved for SSI, but not SSDI. I am not saying that this is what happened in your situation, just speculating as to a possibility. Talk to SSA about this or consult with an attorney.

Also, if one does appeal a decision, then there is a chance that upon review, a new, unfavorable decision can be rendered. I have no idea whether or not this will happen in your claim; I am merely stating that there is some risk in appealing even partially favorable decisions.

I have two clients now who want to appeal partially favorable decisions in their claims. Their decisions were partially favorable because SSA decided that their disabilities commenced after their alleged onset dates (the dates that the claimant's said that their disabilities commenced). I am careful to counsel my clients on the upside and potential downside of appealing such decisions.

Good luck, Ozam.

Rich
            Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

SSDI Appeal for Reconsideration

I went ahead and appeal the decision for reconsideration and within 60 days I was approved for SSDI. Thanks for all the input and support I received from all of you.

Comment

That is wonderful news, ozambrana11! A belated congratulations to you. Hope that you find some relief from your MS.

Rich
                Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
                X