No announcement yet.

When did you know you needed a cane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started using a cane when I started staggering.
    God Bless Us All

Comment

So glad I found this thread by accident

All of your posts are very helpful and have answered many questions for me. I've had difficulty accepting that I can't walk the same and sometimes think I'm being ridiculous. I'm seeing a psychologist that specializes in ms patients and she's helping me with that. Anyways, long story short, I find myself feeling bad for using it. Like I'm being "dramatic" but I'm not. I've had it hidden in my car, just in case, but have yet to take it out. I've felt more comfortable using carts cause they're not "obvious". I just blend in. I don't like drawing attention to myself.
      DX 2005 RRMS. Did 2nd round of Lemtrada Jan 2018. DX SPMS 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Starla View Post
        Anyways, long story short, I find myself feeling bad for using it. Like I'm being "dramatic" but I'm not. I've had it hidden in my car, just in case, but have yet to take it out. I've felt more comfortable using carts cause they're not "obvious". I just blend in. don't like drawing attention to myself.
        Think for a moment how much attention you will draw to youself if you fall! There's there's the attention drawn to yourself if you are staggering without one. Above all else, please remember safety is always a priority. Serious injury can lead to disability all on it's own. I've broken a hip, and even though I had surgery to repair it, will never be the same.

Find a cane (or walking stick) you like and own it. Learn how to use one properly from a PT if you haven't already. The cane (or walking stick) will become a part of you, and you won't be noticed because you are using one.

Best of luck
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
          Think for a moment how much attention you will draw to youself if you fall! There's there's the attention drawn to yourself if you are staggering without one. Above all else, please remember safety is always a priority. Serious injury can lead to disability all on it's own.
          Thats a great point! I need to work on acceptance of where I'm at and not care what other people think.
          DX 2005 RRMS. Did 2nd round of Lemtrada Jan 2018. DX SPMS 2019

Comment

Working...
          X