Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripping and Falls

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me if it's normal for people to trip on "nothing" often (including while walking up the stairs) is normal? It's like I'm tripping over my feet.

Also, it has happened twice now that my leg (first my right knee, then my left hip) just gave out from under me while walking. Luckily, I was walking by a desk and table, respectively, at the time. Several years in between each occurances. The "hip" happened just a few days ago.

Are these incidences common with MSers?

Another thing, is it normal/common to choke on either food or your own spit a lot? This happens on a regular basis. Voice hoarseness, coughing and phlegm is also a bad problem for me. It is the reason why I haven't been able to sing in the last 8 years...something I used to love doing but can't anymore. Walking into walls often is another usual thing for me?

All of these things are happening to me regularly and I don't understand why. Am I just a klutz or could this be MS related? Can anyone help?

Feeling frustrated and at a loss.

I am sorry that you are having these experiences. I think these are 'not uncommon' in the MS community.
    I tell everyone that, since I have MS, everything that happens to me is caused by my MS. Every day is a challenge and something new or odd can happen at anytime. That's life with MS. It (MS) sucks !

Comment

sherp

I trip and fall often, it is not fun but it happens to us MSers sorry to tell u that.

Comment

Could be ms ... but the swallowing/choking thing could also be GERD so it wouldn't hurt to have an ENT consult for that.

They finally figured out that for me, my reflux episodes are because of the fasciculations I get (in limbo so still don't know why I have this although it's not ALS) -- fascs can happen with any smooth muscle and I have them in my esophagus.

So reflux medications did nothing -- but I take Lyrica, which keeps the twitches at bay everywhere. So far this is working for my "reflux".

Comment

i have to say that one of my biggest issues are tripping over my own toes. I feel stupid when i do it but im getting used to being clumsy.

I sometimes have to laugh because i feel like a drunk and i do not drink. My nuero when he first put me on my tecfidera he said "dont drink with this medicine" my reply to him was "i dont have to drink i already feel drunk without it so im a very cheap drinker" my doc had to smurk because he knows what it does.
          All kidding aside though that is my worst thing when i act like a drunken clutz.

Anyone else ever feel this way? How do you handle it? How many times can you laugh about something before it gets old to laugh at and it gets just plain frustrating to struggle to walk normal?

Comment

I trip often over my own feet nothing else. It helps me to look down when I walk and stay near walls, furniture, etc to catch me if I do fall. I also have the sudden leg collapses. Rest usually helps those.

Comment

I also seem to trip over 'nothing' requiring a bit of arm flapping etc to stay upright.

In the last couple of weeks I've also started to suddenly lose my balance and fall backwards. I now have a nice collection of bruises at the bottom of my back from different episodes. Thankfully I can't feel the bottom of my back so they don't hurt, it was only when DH bought them to my attention that I realized they were there.

Comment

I too am sorry that you are having these experiences.

I blame MS on everything that goes wrong in my life. "That's the MS." Yes, IT sucks ! And yes, everyday is a challenge and something new or odd can happen at anytime. This really sucks. I am sorry any of us are here.

Comment

For those of you who are "tripping over nothing", can be helped by an AFO or ankle foot orthotic device. This can be assessed by your PT. Go in and get an assessment. Its worth it not to trip and fall. Trust me, I have one on both feet. I don't trip anymore. What a great invention. They come in all different styles and prices.

Good luck
                  Lisa
                  Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                  SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                  Tysabri

Comment

Falling again

Hi again. It's been a while since I've been on the forum. At one point, I started to believe what my GP told me...that "it's all in my head" (the sx).

However, a few days before Christmas, I fell on the sidewalk in town...no snowbanks, no ice, nothing in the way...but fell almost flat on my face, more onto the right side and hip! Then, a few days after Christmas, I fell down a flight of stairs spraining BOTH ankles! There was absolutely NOTHING in the way and the stairs were well lit. To make matters worse, I don't even remember the actual fall but do remember sitting on my foot on a step near the bottom and requiring help to get up. By the way, the ankles are still a bit swollen, and still hurt a bit, to this day!

About two weeks after that fall, my right knee gave out as I was waiting at the service counter at our local electronics store. Luckily I was able to hang on to the counter preventing me from falling on my butt.

Is this in any way normal?? I still have no dx. My GP won't send me for anymore tests and refuses to redo the last MRI that could not be done because of a downed machine but rather do it at the next "yearly" time...in NOVEMBER! Although, the radiologist indicated the frontal lobe lesion is probably still there with no change.

Plus, my GP states there is no point in doing more testing (the last lab tests were done in the Fall of 2013 and the LP in July of 2014) because he insists the results will be the same. Could he be right?

I am so unhappy with my GP at the moment so, I have decided to make an appointment with the Lockwood clinic in Toronto in the hopes of getting to the bottom of this. I have so many symptoms that point to MS, and yet, everyone (neuros) seem convinced it's not. What else is there to do??

Feeling so frustrated!

Comment

Happens all the time. I use an AFO on one leg and walk with two walking sticks. Occupational hazard with my MS.

Comment

Leg giving out from under me

Originally posted by there View Post
                        Happens all the time. I use an AFO on one leg and walk with two walking sticks. Occupational hazard with my MS.
                        Hi there. Yes, I've started walking with walking poles for exercise. It was hard at first but now I'm used to it. However, I don't walk with them all the time.

Lately, I've noticed that my legs seem to be giving out from under me, making me fall, much more often. I went from once last year to one to three times per week! Is this what MS does? I have not yet been dx with MS so I'm not sure.

Comment

AFO?

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
                          For those of you who are "tripping over nothing", can be helped by an AFO or ankle foot orthotic device. This can be assessed by your PT. Go in and get an assessment. Its worth it not to trip and fall. Trust me, I have one on both feet. I don't trip anymore. What a great invention. They come in all different styles and prices.

Good luck
                          Lisa
                          Lisa I'm unsure what a AFO or ankle foot orthotic is...? Help please. I'm not seeing a PT at this time. Do I need to see one in order to learn & buy one? I'm very tired of falling plus husband is having surgery for a knee replacement so I need to not fall & break a foot or leg again. I've been working on walking with my legs farther apart and that seems to help but as I said I cannot fall of the summer I need to help my husband. Thank you for the post it gave me hope. 🙏🏼
                          A smart person will always catch on, a wise person knows when to let go.

Comment

AFO

Dear Lost in Seattle

An AFO is a orthotic device, that keeps your foot from dropping per say. It is specifically made for each person, to fit under your foot and goes up the back of your leg. It "forces" you to lift your leg in a way that you don't hang your toe, let your ankle drop.

If I understand correctly, you do not have a diagnosis .? I would not want you to continue to fall for sure, but also would hate for you to lose the muscle tone you have. Which can happen very quickly when your not using your muscles. I've been in casts x 2 for 3 months each of the last 2 years. Now I'm in a walking boot lest than 3 weeks and have even lost a lot of my muscle in my calf already.

Just take everything into consideration and weigh the incidents with the need of an AGO.

May God bless

Comment

Sorry lost in Seattle

Lost in Seattle....sorry I think I got you confused with someone else on this thread,when I asked about you having MS. Lol, I'm sure you all understand jumbling stuff around. Again sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X