Very odd feeling on left foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very odd feeling on left foot

I was walking though the drug store, pushing a cart. Just had my hair done and thought I'd stop on the way home to pick up a few things.

I took a step, right leg/foot fine, but looked down to see what was impeding my left foot? It felt a bit numb, but more like something was weighing it down. It was like I was dragging something along with me. I was totally taken by surprise. Great, I thought, I'm here alone and I might fall down! I just carefully pushed my cart to the check out hoping the right foot wouldn't do the same. The sensation lasted maybe 5 mins., felt like forever. Noticing my fingers feel a bit numb also.

I've had numbness in the left fingers for years, but not in the right.

Does anyone else have this type of feeling? Also wondering if you have numbness or difficulty walking, does it usually happen on one side of the body?

Diane
    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Yes, this happens quite a bit to me. Usually, it's immediately noticeable when I stand up when I've been sitting down in one position for too long. Feels like my leg has literally gone to sleep.

It feels like the circulation has been cut off, which used to happen if I sat with my legs crossed, but now it happens just from sitting or lying down. And both legs ache.

All my numbness used to be on the left hand side, but one day MS decided to tear down that wall.

These days both sides are equally and evenly numb, although my right leg is of marginally more use than the left one, which is not saying much.

Comment

For years I only had this feeling in my left leg. This past year my right leg started having the numbness, spasms in my foot and calf as well as heavy dragging feeling especially when I'm tired. When it happens to both at once I feel like I'm walking in mud or I'm going to collapse.

Comment

Not numbness exactly

It's difficult to explain this feeling; it's not exactly numbness. It feels like something is weighing my foot down. When I've had numbness in my hand or foot before there wasn't the feeling of weight. It's pretty weird to try to explain, but it would feel like someone attached a weight to your foot.

Even that doesn't exactly do justice to the feeling. MS=WEIRD :-)

Diane
        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

strengthening?

My left leg is more affected, and it's not so much numbness as just not being able to lift the leg much off the ground, and particularly the part of walking when you lift that leg to bring it through. This, of course, results in "foot-drop" as well as a compensating move bringing the left foot around stiff-legged to take the next step. Is anyone old enough to remember Chester Walker in "Gunsmoke"? "Mr Dillon, Mr Dillon…" Anyway, I've tried with PT to correct this, but it certainly is stubborn. I use a Walk-aide, which helps with foot-drop, but that doesn't solve the gait problem. I also use Ampyra, which lengthens my stride but likewise doesn't change the gait problem. Any strengthening of your quads and stretching the hamstrings might help, but I'm only speaking for myself.

Comment

I like the walking in mud! Either that or swimming in treacle.

Comment

Working...
            X