Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack of awareness of body position in space and spatial relationships.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of awareness of body position in space and spatial relationships.

This is something new that cropped up a few days ago.

Upon waking, I have a skewed sense of where my hands are. I think they are one place (by my head for example) but when I move my fingers I feel them elsewhere and it freaks me out because it feels like someone else. It is fine as far as I can tell when I am fully awake though.

Anyone experience this? I'm seeing my physiatrist in March and my neuro in April.

I have this experience with my legs, particularly in the dark, like movie theaters, and at home when it's pitch dark, lights out in the middle of the night, I just don't know where my legs are.

Your physiatrist and neuro can give you an accurate medical description than I ever could, so I won't even attempt it. Actually your description in 'lay person' is pretty spot on.

Hope it improves very soon.

Comment

My "proprioception" and body awareness is something my PT lady works diligently with me on. Please see if that is what you are dealing with or if you are talking about something else.

I hope things settle down ... I know when you are feeling "off" it's certainly disconcerting. It's like trying to sit down and not having a good idea where the chair is.

Comment

Thanks both of you!

I'll definitely talk to my physiatrist when I see her. I am out of PT currently but still in contact with my therapist. We did spatial testing back in April and July and everything was fine. It normally is, just waking up each morning for the past few days has been weird and definitely disconcerting.

Comment

You might try not immediately jumping out of bed. Try placing a foot on the ground and giving your body a minute or two to adjust before getting out of bed. I often wake up to vertigo symptoms and it will often pass after a few minutes.

If I charge into my morning I often feel like a weeble-wobble and that certainly isn't fun.

Comment

body parts, where are they in space?

I have to look at my limbs to see where they are "in space." meaning, I can't feel them. I too have this problem. I am useless in the dark, can't maneuver at all. Lately, I feel like I'm walking in quicksand. Terrible feeling. I tell mu PT I feel this way. He has no answer. I guess no one really does. It is messed up.
            Kathy Sue

I not only believe in Miracles....I depend on them.

Comment

Yep, I noticed it for the first time a few days ago. Everything seems to be working so, I ignored it. It was disconcerting and I just forgot about it, until I read this thread. fed

Comment

Kathy Sue, it does suck! Hate this stupid disease.

Comment

Where are my legs?

Yes, Miss Lux. I have been crawling up he stairs lately. Very sad. Used to be able to carry laundry up stairs, now I make strategic trips once or twice a day. Been stuck in the house because of snow. That makes it more miserable. Wake me in April!
                  Kathy Sue

I not only believe in Miracles....I depend on them.

Comment

Marco is correct. I have big issues with walking/balance because of proprioception deficits.

Mine is from a spinal cord injury, not my MS. I'm OK until the lights dim, or go out. Good luck

Comment

I have proprioception problems also. Sometimes it feels like my knees are attached to my feet and I'm missing my lower legs. Or I'm walking up hill when the floor is straight. Or that one foot is higher than the other like its on the sidewalk and the other is on the ground. Mines all with my legs so I always look at the ground when I walk. If I look up I lose my balance. Never know what weird sensations the day will bring. Really tired of this disease.

Comment

The proprioception voids with my MS are the most heartbreaking for me. As a former dancer, I've always tried to be present in my body, but somehow I don't live here anymore.

I have no mental map of where my feet or hands are when they are behind me. During my daily water workouts, I practice touching my opposite foot with my opposite hand behind me, but it's just chance if the hand and foot meet. On land, I can't walk even one step backwards. It's as if my brain doesn't know where "behind" is or is too terrified to step into that unknown.

I keep trying, however. My hope is that through repetition of the patterning of movements in the water, I can reroute around my lesions.

Stay lifted,
                        Mermaid
                        "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Usually notice it most when I'm trying to position myself daintily on a chair (or some such other article) upon which I need to sit. Have only a vague idea of where the two should be aligning.

Comment

Yes! That can be challenging too!

My strategy for that is backing up until I feel the edge of the seat against the backs of my legs. Not so graceful, but much safer than trying to judge the spatial relationship of bum and chair.

Comment

Had to smile

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                              You might try not immediately jumping out of bed. Try placing a foot on the ground and giving your body a minute or two to adjust before getting out of bed. I often wake up to vertigo symptoms and it will often pass after a few minutes.

If I charge into my morning I often feel like a weeble-wobble and that certainly isn't fun.
                              Sorry to chuckle. Just hit my 'funny bone' at the thought of jumping out of bed.

Actually though I learned the hard way not to do anything without thinking about it and getting a feel for it. I'd been sitting in a chair using my computer. I got up to do something else; put the computer to the side and stood up. Oops, no feeling in legs or feet! I fell flat on my face, twisting both feet soles inward, ankles out. I heard a loud snap and thought I'd knocked something off my dresser. (I was in the bedroom). I was home alone and had to drag myself into the living room where I knew I'd left the phone on a low table. I was able to call my DH and he came home. It didn't hurt (remember I couldn't feel my feet), but I was a bit shocky and had some nausea (which passed) and dizziness.

My left ankle swelled up like a balloon. We figured it was a sprain. I decided to just keep an eye on it, but the next day it wasn't less swollen so we went to the docs. Turned out I'd broken the tip of my fibula. There is no surgery for that so I just had to wear a brace for a while. That foot looks really weird now.

Anyway, always check your footing. That's what I do.

DianeD
                              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                              X