First "near" fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First "near" fall

I've fallen before, but never seriously. This latest flair appears to have significantly effected my balance. I slightly lost my footing this morning - and almost ended up in a snowbank on the sidewalk. I've got no ability to correct. Any suggestions for staying upright? Also, my legs have been aching since. Normal?

Whoa~ glad it wasn't a fall, heliotrope, but landing in a snow bank wouldn't have hurt so much. I know as I've done it a few times! Do you use a cane or could rent or borrow one while you are recovering from a flare for more stability?

I have a new pair of StablelIcers that I got at REI. They are grippers to put on your shoes or boots and are really helpful for snowy/icy conditions. I've also heard of Yaktrax Walker grippers http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130666

Hope this is helpful. Stay safe!!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. I've been trying to figure out how to handle this - a cane isn't a big help on an icy sidewalk (just something else to slip). Finished off the day by landing in a snowbank anyway - and pulling a few muscles... Adjustments are hard!

Comment

no advice or staying upright other than to do whatever is possible to improve your footing. If you do fall, try to fall in a way that will allow you to roll when you hit the ground. This will allow you to transfer the energy that you have when you fall and not get hurt.
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks everyone. This is driving me a little crazy...

I had a PT eval recently. My "basic balance" is fine (I can stand up and walk normally), but my "advanced balance" isn't. In shorthand, this means I lose my balance if I lose my footing at all. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle things. A cane gets in the way of my normal gait (duck-walk, anyone?), but I need it if I shift too fast.

If I fall again, it's definitely time to move up my PT appointment.

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
            A cane gets in the way of my normal gait (duck-walk, anyone?), but I need it if I shift too fast.
            PT can teach you how to walk normally with a cane. It just takes some practice. Hopefully, you recover soon from your flare and won't need to use it for very long. PT can also teach you how to fall. Breaking a bone would not be a good thing! I really hope you don't fall again.

Best wishes,
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
            X