My legs are failing me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My legs are failing me

I went to Zumba tonight and couldn't make it through the entire class because my legs kept giving out on me. I'm 28 and there was an old lady (who moves very slowly and can't do a lot of the moves) who even did better than me! It was so embarrassing walking out of there early because I couldn't finish. Even worse, my balance was so off that I probably looked like I was drunk when I walked back to my car. As I walked up to the house, I almost fell when my legs gave out again, and normally the car ride home gives me long enough to rest that I feel fine when I get out.

I went with my niece and nephews as they went trick or treating last night and it really wore me out to the point I looked like I was drunk way before we got back to the house. I felt so great thinking that I walked as far as I did though because I can't make it very far. Then I realized tonight what a mistake that was. The one thing that I do that actually makes me feel good about myself made me feel like a total loser tonight instead.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

I am so sorry for you lstrl. I bet you had fun with the kids though. Does it seem to be affected by your rest or too much activity?

My 85 yr old neighbor has Stage IV lung cancer and does much better than me, too! I am 60, really sucks! fed

Comment

I feel your pain "no pun intended".

I have been non active for awhile so the other day I decided to go for a walk. I really didn't walk far but was already feeling weak. Then I swept the floors and vacuumed.

Yesterday I was in the hospital with severe muscle spasms.

Well good luck to you and try to stay strong and keep using those legs.
      DIAGNOSED=2012
      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Don't compare yourself to others!! And screw what you look like.. Who cares!!??

Keep walking and exercising!i compete with myself and congratulate myself daily for what I do. Walking a couple miles for me is as tough as some people running 10.

You are doing great to just get through Zumba!! We are all behind you cheering you on.

J
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Thanks for the support. Even though I know to expect issues, it is always so hard when they pop up and make life harder. As weak as I was, I'm assuming it had to be from the walking the night before. I don't normally get as weak as last night, even on my bad days. That's the first time I have ever been affected the day after.

I am pretty tired today due to waking up in the middle of the night and having a hard time falling back asleep, but I am much stronger now. I was afraid to go back to Zumba today, but I decided I'd do what I can, and it went much better than last night. Even though I know I'm going to have bad days, I always get scared when it happens, thinking that I'm getting worse again. I've been dealing with this almost a year now, but I still can't get used to what must be my new normal.
          Diagnosed 1/4/13
          Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Lstrl, based on your signature, you're pretty new to MS. I would give it a day or two before you decide anything is failing. You might be coming down with a cold, getting a UTI, exhausted, about to have your period, or any number of things, and your body will spring back in a bit. You also may still have some healing to do from your last exacerbation.

Comment

Maybe trick-or-treating kinda did you in, affecting Zumba the next day. Until you get used to it, try not to do anything physical without at least a day in between. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing at Yoga... at the freakin' MS Society!

There's a saying, "Don't compare your inside to other people's outside.". I try to remember it at times like those you're experiencing. Don't be hard on yourself, especially in your first couple of years.

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
              X