Baclofen pump seven year replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen pump seven year replacement

Hello, I am getting ready for my second pump replacement in 2024. My original neo surgeon did my implant, and the first replacement, but has since retired. Two questions for those that have a pump and experience;

on my first replacement, the doctor said I should have the pump replaced six months prior to the expiration month. Does anybody wait till it’s closer to the battery? Expiration date?

last time I contacted Medtronic they told me that a new pump was being launched but I haven’t heard much about when it will be launched and available nor did I get any information about what it will have that’s enhanced from the Chrome pump available. Does anyone have any feedback on the new pump?

Hi bluegiraffe
    Hope you're doing well! I didn't know Medtronic was coming out with a new pump. Look forward to learning more about it!

Originally posted by bluegiraffe
    on my first replacement, the doctor said I should have the pump replaced six months prior to the expiration month. Does anybody wait till it’s closer to the battery? Expiration date?
    I've been told by two different doctors it should be replaced six months before the ERI date, but both times I was able to push it out further. The first time my ERI date was early August, and was told it should be replaced asap at my first appt in March with a new doctor. I wasn't expecting that, because my previous doctor hadn't mentioned anything about it yet. Thought it would be just before ERI date. I was able to push that one out to end of May.

I now see a different doctor, and he replaced it the last time (2020). Initially told it needed to be replaced in August, which was six months before the ERI date the following February. At my appt in late July, he told me I could wait til the end of the January 2021, then told me the battery was supposed to continue working another 90 days after the ERI alarm date (which I already knew), and could even wait until March if I wanted to.

He was leaving the hospital system he was with in Sept, due to budget cuts there, and moving to another hospital system. So don't know if that's why he changed his tune, but he always explains everything well, and has been honest with info on the pump (unlike another group I went to before, who wanted me to come every three months for my refills).

I thought about waiting until March, but decided to have it done in December, since my deductible had been met for the year. I'm also at a fairly high dose (600 mcg/day), so didn't want to be without it if something went wrong before it was replaced.

I think it really depends on your doctor.

This info is from the Medtronic:

Elective Replacement Indicator

SynchroMed™ II pump has an elective replacement indicator (ERI) alarm that sounds approximately 90 days before the pump stops delivering therapy. A stopped pump results in a loss of therapy that can lead to an underdose or withdrawal symptoms. If you hear an ERI alarm, contact your doctor.

It is a good idea to schedule your replacement about 6 months prior to the automatic shut off so there is no interruption in your therapy.
    https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/pati...placement.html

My interpretation is they recommend scheduling replacement 3 months before ERI alarm date. Also, there would be no way to know the exact date the pump would stop working after the ERI alarm date.

This is from another thread:

Originally posted by bobtheisen
    I also asked about BG's question that the pump could go 3 months past the battery date. She said that would not be a good idea. Once you are past the battery life date, she said you wouldn't be able to tell when the battery will stop working.
    https://www.msworld.org/forum/forum/...he-replacement

Maybe more news about the new pump and expected launch date will be out closer to end of the end of year, and help with decision when you're pump is replaced? Please keep us updated, and best wishes!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I asked about a new pump in a large pump group and no one had heard anything.

My pm&r doctor always schedules pump replacement 6 months before battery expiration. He said that flow rate can fluctuate when the battery gets low.

Please keep us updated.

I wish you well.

Comment

Thank you both! I will keep you updated when I get more information. Take care.

Comment

Working...
        X