Has Anyone Had Botox for Spasticity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Anyone Had Botox for Spasticity?

Hi! I have worsening spasticity in my legs (especially quads). I stretch and have tried Baclofen and Tizanidine without relief. I’ve talked with my Neuro about Botox injections. Has anyone had this in their legs? How did it work out for you? Thanks!

I haven't used this for spasticity, but recently got an injection for my bladder. It has worked wonders by relaxing the muscles. I would definitely try it. This site explains how it works for helping spasticity https://premierneurologycenter.com/c...ox-for-spastic

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Botox injections are generally considered safe and effective for spasticity. As far as I know, many people have had success with them.

Comment

Hi there! Keep in mind that Botox injections aren't a cure for spasticity, but rather a treatment that needs to be repeated periodically to maintain the effect. As far as I know, the effects of Botox injections typically last for about three months, after which another injection may be needed. Before undergoing Botox injections, I strongly suggest you to have a discussion with your neurologist about the risks and benefits of the treatment. They will be able to evaluate your individual situation and determine if Botox injections are a good option for you. If the answer is yes, choose a reliable clinic and doctors. Don't tend to save money on this.

Comment

Originally posted by BalletBunny View Post
          Hi! I have worsening spasticity in my legs (especially quads). I stretch and have tried Baclofen and Tizanidine without relief. I’ve talked with my Neuro about Botox injections. Has anyone had this in their legs? How did it work out for you? Thanks!

I have spasticity in right side limbs, arm far worse than leg. My neurologist finally got me to try some shots on arm. As ReinaldSherper said, it is short lived, with benefits / drawbacks different for everyone. My neurologist really pushed the stuff but he hesitated with leg injections.

I didn't continue shots simply because I noticed no strength or usage improvement, just some temporary (3 weeks?) and minor pain relief. Feeling was more important to me. Might be the real reason behind his reluctancy to inject leg? after all, knowing where your leg(s) is is paramount.

Oh, welcome to MSW BalletBunny and ReinaldSherper​! Others should respond to your thread with more current info!

Comment

I had spasticity over my entire body. I was evaluated by a physical medicine and rehab (PM&R) doctor that ruled out botox. He said that insurance would never approve, nor could he inject the amount of Botox that my body would need. He said that Botox "worked great" for smaller body areas, but the effects would be temporary.

I ended up with a baclofen pump that's been a miracle for me.

Spasticity sucks! I hope everyone in this thread gets the relief they seek and need.

I wish you well...

Comment

Dealing with worsening spasticity can be incredibly challenging, but it's great that you're exploring different options to find relief. Botox injections can indeed be a viable treatment for spasticity, especially in the legs. While I haven't personally undergone this treatment, I've heard positive experiences from others who have. It's essential to have an open and honest discussion with your neurologist to weigh the potential benefits and risks.

Comment

Additionally, if you're interested in exploring alternative treatments or complementary approaches, you might want to consider looking into argireline. While traditionally known for its anti-wrinkle properties, Argireline also has muscle-relaxing effects that could potentially help alleviate some of the discomfort associated with spasticity.
                Last edited by KoKo; 03-26-2024, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X