Spasticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spasticity

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I was dx’d RRMS in 2003 then changed to SPMS in 2008-2009.

One problem I’ve had all along is spasticity in my legs. I still walk but with a cane. I am on Baclofen, 120 mg per day. Now my neuro has added 5mg valium as needed.

I’m having an awful time with my left leg. The meds are not combatting the problem. Any input would be appreciated

David

Hi David,

Has your neuro mentioned a baclofen pump as an alternative to oral baclofen?

You're on a pretty high dosage of baclofen. My neuro Rx'd 80 mg a day for me and that was as high as he would recommend, but like you, even with a high dose of oral baclofen my spasticity was awful, my range of motion was practically non - existent, and my gait was affected. That plus the pain from the spasticity convinced me to go for a pump trial and subsequent pump implant.

For me it was like a miracle, my ROM, mobility, and pain all improved beyond my expectation. The dosage is delivered intrathecally so there are no side effects, and the amount of baclofen used is minuscule compared to the oral doses. If you go to the Baclofen med boards on this forum you should find a few threads on pumps.

They are not without their own set of problems, but the relief I get is worth the few issues I've had with mine.

On the med side, if you don't want to go the pump route, ask your neuro about adding Zanaflex. It's another anti spasticity med and sometimes they use them with baclofen to try to relieve spasticity. Hope you get some relief.

Comment

Thanks so much rdmc. I have considered the pump but have never talked to my neuro about it.

I need some relief soon so I might call him.
      Thanks Again !!

David

Comment

Working...
      X