Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you have spasticity without spasms?

Hi all,

I usually read about spasticity in which people have spasms. I recently started to get tight hamstrings in both legs. They are OK when standing or extended straight out, but when bent, they are really tight and starting to hurt. Sitting is worst position ... forget correct posture.

I still walk each day and try to stretch.

Can this be the start of spasticity even though I don't have spasms.

Thanks for any insight.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Hi Kathy,

You don't have to have spasms with spasticity. It can just be that feeling of tightness. What you describe sounds like extensor spasticity.

From the NMSS:

Spasticity refers to feelings of stiffness and a wide range of involuntary muscle spasms (sustained muscle contractions or sudden movements). It is one of the more common symptoms of MS. Spasticity may be as mild as the feeling of tightness of muscles or may be so severe as to produce painful, uncontrollable spasms of extremities, usually of the legs. Spasticity may also produce feelings of pain or tightness in and around joints, and can cause low back pain. Although spasticity can occur in any limb, it is much more common in the legs.

In flexor spasticity, mostly involving the hamstrings (muscles on the back of the upper leg), and hip flexors (muscles at the top of the upper thigh), the hips and knees are bent and difficult to straighten.

In extensor spasticity, involving the quadriceps and adductors (muscles on the front and inside of the upper leg), the hips and knees remain straight with the legs very close together or crossed over at the ankles.

You can read more here:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity

http://www.mymsaa.org/about-ms/symptoms/spasticity/

I hope this information helps!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks Kimba. I will have to talk to neuro at appt in May if it stays with me. I really feel for people who have this day in and out. I feel like such a weenie when I read what others have to endure.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X