"Seizures" in hands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Seizures" in hands?

I searched the boards and found some things that sound a bit like what I have but not quite and I wanted to hear what others might think.

For several years now, I have had these "seizures" (as my neuro calls them; I called them "cramps") where my thumb will pull into my palm or my fingers will spread apart or lock together. These occur bilaterally, are very painful, occur in clusters (i.e., 4-5 times for an episode and 2-4 times a day/night for 2-3 weeks a cluster), and each "seizure" lasts for seconds.

In 2012, I had a trigger finger repair to my right middle and ring finger.

In August of last year, my fingers started feeling very sore between the joints and my pinky on my left hand started catching like my trigger fingers did before they locked. The pain increased and in January, my PCP sent me for hand PT.

At hand PT, the therapist noted that the triggering of my pinky was actually happening on the outside (away from the palm) of my left hand. She gave me some compression gloves to wear at night which I did. I wore the one for the left hand during the day as well because it felt better.

Last week, I went for my 2nd appt with the hand therapist. Over the proceeding week, my hands were more painful especially on the left side. Different therapist this visit. She immediately pointed out that both of my palms were showing what are called "lumps and pits" (nodules and thickened cords) and she suspected I have Dupuytren's Contractures.

Questions:
    1. I am not male and I do not have diabetes. Is Dupuytren's associated with MS?

2. Over the past two years or so, I have noticed that my hands have gotten weaker. I used to be able to break an apple in half with my bare hands. Now, I cannot even unscrew a pre-loosened bottle top. Is this weakness MS?

3. Dupuytren's is not painful. My fingers are very sore between each joint (not including the tips). Bending my fingers increases the pain. If this is not Dupuytren's, could it be spasticity?

4. On many of my fingers on the palm side, there appears to be bruising radiating from the middle joints and my fingers are shiny. Any ideas about this?

I have an appt with the surgeon who fixed my trigger fingers but am wondering if I should make an appt with my neuro. He's not an MS guy bc the MS guy here is not my cup of tea. If this is MS, is there anywhere I can point him to get info about this? I can't find anything.

Thank you for your help!
    Vail Kindel

DX'd "Benign" MS 1996. Was told by 2nd opinion neuro: "MS isn't painful and doesn't cause problems with your thinking." Now, we all know better than that, don't we? Had exacerbation in 2008 that was 100% cognitive, progression started in 2012, and if all this hurting isn't pain, what is it?

seizures of hands????

Oh my gosh, exactly what is happening to me also.
    It is not, for me dyp------ contractions, . My hubby has that, he is diabetic. It is also associated with Norweigian , Scandivian descendants. Pardon my spelling, but I am sure you get my drift. (lol).
    My hands also contract from the thumb to the inside. It leaves me with intense pain running up my arms to my neck that lasts for sometimes a day or so. It is so painful. My neuro said it is spasticity. He is treating me with Lyrica, which helps a bit, but also has had to increase dose twice already since Jan.
    Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X