Could this be spasticity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this be spasticity?

At night I've been getting this knot or fullness that is quite painful in my back and side. Almost like someone pushes a large rock or something in a small space.

But the reason I am questioning what it is, is that it has lasted for an hour at a time maybe and I've been able to manipulate and stretch, which seems to make it better.

The only other thing that I think it could be would be a spasm. But considering where it is located what could be spasming into a painful ball right under my ribcage on the right side.

Has anyone has spasticity that comes mostly at night? or what else can cause this problem? It really hurts!

Sounds like it could be the "hug". I get spasms in my ribcage on one side and it feels like someone is tightening a belt around half of my waist (does that even make sense?). It can also sometimes feel like a balloon is pressing out from the inside.

As a precaution you might mention it to your doc so he can poke around. Make sure it's not something else.

Comment

Hug -- spasm

Not sure. I've never had anything that felt like a hug per se. I do get a burning that starts in my mid thoracic spine that radiates part way around. It's an area about 6"-8" wide. I've also had periods of a small area of spasms on my left posterior ribs. I've had that burning "band" independent of flares and could be connected to my current back issues. Who knows.

Comment

So this pain and pressure continued... Went to my rheumatologist thinking it was a back issue. He suggested it may be neurological so took voltaren, tramedal for my back and baclofen. I am still shocked because it worked!! AWww! feels so good not to have that pressurizes pain.

Wishing relief to everyone else suffering through this.

Comment

hope all is well

Glad you found some relief. I've experienced this before but wasn't sure if it was the" hug" but I'm a big fan of aspercream for muscle cramps I say that cause just be careful with that baclofen and tramadol please. I know meds effect everyone differently but baclofen made me so loopy and out my head and tramadol caused 2 seizures for me recently but it also a lot if serious side effects so just friendly advice to be careful best wishes to you

Comment

The pain came back! although I am fighting it tooth and nail with everything that I have.

I called my neurologist who suggested that I see my PC. He didn't think it was MS related at all. I also told him about my cheek spasms (face) and he said it's part of MS....no kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by Tia1 View Post
              At night I've been getting this knot or fullness that is quite painful in my back and side. Almost like someone pushes a large rock or something in a small space.

But the reason I am questioning what it is, is that it has lasted for an hour at a time maybe and I've been able to manipulate and stretch, which seems to make it better.

The only other thing that I think it could be would be a spasm. But considering where it is located what could be spasming into a painful ball right under my ribcage on the right side.

Has anyone has spasticity that comes mostly at night? or what else can cause this problem? It really hurts!
              So sorry for what you are going through. I just wanted to suggest you also add Magnesium and Potassium supplements. Most of my spasms at night found relief or lessened after adding Magnesium.

Hope you get relief~

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                So sorry for what you are going through. I just wanted to suggest you also add Magnesium and Potassium supplements. Most of my spasms at night found relief or lessened after adding Magnesium.

Hope you get relief~

Jan
                I agree. It worked somewhat for me with my legs.
                I did ask my doc for testing first though. I wanted make sure I was deficient. I was afraid I might take too much as there are different mg out there on the store shelves (trying to save money).

Found my vitamin D was low too and he gave me a prescription for that.

All is regulated now woo hoo lol
                STR

Comment

Working...
                X