Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS? tingling bilaterally? or unilaterally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS? tingling bilaterally? or unilaterally?

Hello all, I've been away for awhile.

I was in limbo land, and initially my neurologist said that he couldn't rule it in yet, and couldn't rule it out yet. And initially he said if I went for 3 years without any changes in my brain MRI, then it pretty much rules it out.

So the 3 year mark came and I asked him if we can now assume I do not have MS, and he said no. He wanted me to at least have another brain MRI every year. I was certain that I didn't have it. Even after my neurologist reassured me that MS does not cause bells palsy (which I've had twice and scared the crap outta me).

But then after a stressful time of losing my mother in law, I began to really notice an annoying tingling that began in my right shoulder blade area and went down the back of my upper right arm. it is so random when it begins. I can't illicit the tingling, no matter how I try. I mentioned it to my regular doctor and asked for neck imaging, and had an xray. It came out negative, but then the symptoms improved and I barely noticed it for several weeks, and so I put it out of my mind.

But, now the symptoms are getting bad again. It is so annoying, and most noticeable on the back of the upper right arm. I'm trying to reassure myself that because it's only on the right side, that it can't be MS, but to be honest, I'm not sure if having it on one side (unilaterally) is good or bad. What ya all think? opinions? Thank you. Hope you all are well.
    Christie ~ RN, Married with 2 beautiful daughters and a beautiful granddaughter
    Dx: Ulcerative Colitis ~ 2004, Diabetes ~ 2005, Fibromyalgia ~2011, and now in MS limbo-land since April 2011

MS is usually unilateral-- but not always ( e.g., transverse myelitis, bilateral TN, cumulative damage, etc.) Could be nerve impingement not apparent on X-ray or soft tissue irritation...or MS flare. Definitely check in with your neuro.

For 2-3 years before my diagnosis I had odd patches of numbness: ankle bones (lol) were numb for two weeks, a few months later it was a big patch of skin on the back of my thigh that felt weird, then skin on my stomach and lower back, other odd things. It was always unilateral weirdness...until I got unignorable Bilateral TN, then a bout of TM 6 months later.
    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Few possible causes of your tingling:

- Myofascial pain syndrome: Tension in the upper back muscles (aggravated by stress?) could result in tingling down the back of the arm

- Pinched nerve in the lower neck spine: I imagine this would cause at least a little pain. X-ray is not enough to exclude bulging discs.

- Shingles can appear without rash.

Comment

I've only had two exacerbations - 11 years apart. The first caused bilateral paresthesia, but wasn't diagnosed as MS because I also had a vitamin B12 deficiency and the paresthesia cleared up as the B12 levels went up. 11 years later, I had unilateral paresthesia. That got me diagnosed.

Also, I wasn't on any medication in that 11 years, since I'd not been diagnosed (and the first exacerbation was before any DMDs had been approved where I lived!). So it is possible to have MS without any significant change in the MRI. First one showed no brain lesions. 11 years later, only 6.

So, some of my response might seem not so uplifting, but remember that there are people whose progression is really that slow. Being one of them, I am thankful every single day, and stay incredibly active, just in case the next lesion is the bad one. I've likely had MS for a good 25 years by now, but I ice skate 3-4 times per week and stretch A LOT. So even if you do have MS, know that it's not necessarily an immediate life change for everyone.

Comment

Working...
        X