Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneeze/ Cough = Electric Shock

Does anyone else have the following happen:
    When I sneeze hard; or have a coughing fit (when I have a cold or something), I get this electrical shock feeling all throughout my body.

Anyone else?

L'hermittes

I'm sorry that nobody responded to you before now.

Unless I'm mistaken, from your description it sounds like what you're experiencing is called L'hermitte's. It's the name of a known symptom that people with MS frequently experience. Unfortunately, I can personally vouch for that!

It usually happens when you suddenly tuck your chin down. I can picture you throwing your chin down sharply when you sneeze. If that's accurate, that could easily bring on L'hermitte's. It seems that the most common manifestation is a feeling like an electric shock that travels down your spine from the base of your neck to other parts of your body.

Sometimes it's just a sharp tingling that goes down my spine. Other times it's an extremely painful shock that spreads from the base of my neck to radiate painfully all through my body in the blink of an eye, leaving me feeling like I just got hit with lightning. Yeah, not fun. :-(

The only thing that I've come up with to try to reduce the number of recurrences of L'hermitte's is to try to stop my chin from jerking down, whatever the situation.

Maybe others on the forum will have better ideas on how to control L'hermitte's.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

RRMS, dx May 2013, on Gilenya from May '13 - Aug. 14
    Currently following Dr. Jelinek's OMS (Overcoming MS) plan

Comment

I have L'hermittes symptoms only in my right hand and fingers. I know that isn't L'hermittes but I get an electrical shock and pins and needles/numbness immediately following the shock.

Comment

Originally posted by amyrising View Post
        I have L'hermittes symptoms only in my right hand and fingers. I know that isn't L'hermittes but I get an electrical shock and pins and needles/numbness immediately following the shock.
        Hi Amy just curious what do you mean that you know its not L’Hermitte's is it because its only in one hand ? Craig

Comment

dastardly,

Lhermites sign is when a person bends their head down and experiences abnormal sensations (buzzing/vibrations, electrical shock, tingling) from the spine down and sometimes, waist down . These sensations will only last seconds but can be repeated each time the person bends their head down.

L'Hermittes has different causes but when related to MS it is caused by lesions on the cervical spinal cord.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Snoopy thanks for your response I have Lhermites I use to get it in my arms and fingers that went away but now I have it in my legs, being a man and standing to take a leak when I look down to make sure Im hitting the right spot and my legs are already wobbly it catches me by surprise just another job of MS i was just wondering about what Amy said that she knew it wasn't Lhermites as was in only one hand Craig

Comment

Working...
            X