Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting Fatigue

Fighting fatigue

Researchers are studying various treatments and ways to manage this common MS symptom. by Brandie Jefferson

Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of multiple sclerosis, and it’s a prominent focus of a variety of research studies aimed at treatment and management, as well.

Fatigue can be a primary or secondary symptom — either caused by the disease directly or the result of other symptoms, such as spasms — leading to people tiring more easily from minimal physical activity. There are a variety of ways to try to manage fatigue, although no medication has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat MS fatigue, specifically. “There is a major unmet need for treatment options,” says Leigh Charvet, MD, professor of neurology at the New York University Grossman School of Medicine. Bringing the fatigue fight home Nora Fritz, PhD, associate professor of healthcare sciences, physical therapy and neurology at Wayne State University in Detroit, is researching causes of and solutions to fatigue and fatigability in the home. Most people with MS have an all-too-familiar understanding of fatigue. But what about fatigability?

accelerometers, (devices that captured their motion every 15 seconds). They were also asked to report their level of fatigue four times throughout the day. That’s 28 self-reported measures of fatigue instead of the one captured by a traditional survey measure of fatigue. The researchers will analyze the data to understand how different activities and intensities relate to fatigue. If a person reports a lot of fatigue after going for a long walk, “we can look at the effects of that activity on fatigue,” Fritz says, breaking it down into intricate details to truly capture how that walk affected the rest of the participant’s day.

over the phone, using online video conferencing or using an asynchronous internet platform. Regardless of the format, they’ll all be learning the same lessons about ways to self-manage their fatigue and reduce its impact. For example, “The first topic is all about resting,” Plow says. “How to rest. When to rest. Experimenting with rest. What kind of rest is best?” For one person, it might be meditation. For another, it might be bobbing their head to their favorite music. Participants were asked which intervention they’d prefer ahead of time, then randomly assigned to a group. When it comes to which method is most successful for any individual, “I think preference will be a very strong predictor,” he says. That is, he thinks people will see better results if they are in the group that they wanted to be in. Once the results have been analyzed, Plow hopes to be able to understand which intervention will work best for any individual. Is it a one-to-one format or a group format? Or maybe a person would be more successful checking in on an internet platform weekly, whenever their schedule allows. That’s the beauty of working with an occupational therapist. “They help people figure out the trial-and-error process,” Plow says. “It’s empowering people to do their own experiments and figure out what works for them.”

someone’s fatigue. Maybe tDCS was activating on its own. Or maybe it worked by improving mood, or something else.”

Charvet began to hear from her patients in her early studies that the use of tDCS has lessened their fatigue and found tDCS to have a significant benefit in her 2016 study. “We don’t know that it’s targeting the source of fatigue, but people were definitely reporting less fatigue when they were doing it.”

It’s been so successful that, thanks to patient lobbying, Charvet is now able to offer a tDCS clinical service through NYU Langone Health’s innovative care guidance that offers home-based access via telehealth. Ultimately, she wants to see tDCS approved by the FDA for medical use, which would provide more clinical access. When that day comes, Charvet will be ready, thanks in large part to the participants who allowed her team to come into their homes so that they could design a technology together that would work for a wide spectrum of people.

“This is all driven by people living with MS. I don’t want to study something that people don’t want to do or won’t use,” Charvet says. “All I want is more tools to allow for people to have a better quality of life.”

https://momentummagazineonline.com/fighting-fatigue/

This is a major sx for me. My docs just tell me to exercise more. With what energy?!
    I work full-time, 3-12 hr shifts and one short shift. When I am done with work it takes me a minimum of a full day of rest to recover enough so I can do regular life chores and activities.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Hey Toomnyhats!

Originally posted by Toomnyhats View Post
      This is a major sx for me. My docs just tell me to exercise more. With what energy?!
      I work full-time, 3-12 hr shifts and one short shift. When I am done with work it takes me a minimum of a full day of rest to recover enough so I can do regular life chores and activities.
      It seems to me, your fatigue might be due more to overactivity, resulting in exhausting your available energy, rather than being due to a lack of exercise.

I remember all too well the feeling of awful extreme fatigue when I was still working and also trying to carry on with my other activities, chores, responsibilities, etc.

My neuro had the opposite opinion to that of your doctor's.

He kept bugging me to retire on disability (before I was ready to do so)!

You know your body better than anyone else, Toomnyhats.

Your current activities do count as exercise.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Fatigue, I can sure relate! I'm still working 32 hours/week but lately it has been a few more hours each week especially if I'm traveling for meetings. I try and walk every other day or so and do some minor stretching but after working a full day and then the routine chores of life, I am just tuckered out by the end of the day. I plan to work another couple of years and will be discussing SSDI with my Neuro at my next annual checkup. I took a couple of weeks off during the holidays and got a taste of retirement and it sure was nice!

Comment

Working...
        X