Fatigue from doing nothing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all 'get it'

Marti, don't feel like you have beaten this subject to death. So many of us feel like you do. Actually it is comforting to hear that others feel like me :-) That's kind of perverse, but it makes me feel less alone...

The fatigue issue is the worst that MS has dealt me as it is the most difficult to understand and I always feel like a slacker. Most any task is too much. I actually feel good if I manage one thing a day, but at this rate it will take me a yr. to get the house clean.

Keeping things orderly is my most pressing issue. For some reason it takes all my strength to sort things and put them away.

I wish I had answers; I don't.

Diane
    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Before MS I was so hyperactive and very productive, now I stayed soo tired and fatigued. I really beat myself up over this. I told myself I wasn't fighting hard enough, I was giving in and I was just becoming lazy, lazy people has always been one of my pet peeves. So on Saturday, I still work too, I promised myself that no matter what, I was going to push on and clean my house. I wasn't going to give up.

After 5 hours of working, I just broke down. I couldn't walk, I was in sooo much pain, the dizziness was too much to handle, I cried and cried and cried. I was in bed for 3 days and my next 2 weekends were ruined because I had to stay in bed.

Lesson learned, don't beat yourself up, your not lazy, we just have MS. I hate you feel bad & so tired but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Comment

Oh yea I forgot to add I take Adderall, I hate it, it has such a stigma to it but nuvigel & provigel make me feel awful.

Adderall also have helped my dizziness so much which is really my biggest battle with this disease.

Comment

Dale76

Hey you.....

Thanks for info. I do excersise 3-5 times a week. And man.... I'm just not feeling that energy quite yet. This weekend I'm taking a Walmart run to check them out. I'll buy just one and see if it helps. I do pace myself. But when I do have a great day I burn out because I don't want that good feeling to go away so I just keep rockin it. Thanks for the tip.

Have a wonderful................. or at least a good weekend.
          SusieQ

Diagnosed 6-28-14
          RRMS
          Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond57 View Post
            Hey you.....

Thanks for info. I do excersise 3-5 times a week. And man.... I'm just not feeling that energy quite yet. This weekend I'm taking a Walmart run to check them out. I'll buy just one and see if it helps. I do pace myself. But when I do have a great day I burn out because I don't want that good feeling to go away so I just keep rockin it. Thanks for the tip.

Have a wonderful................. or at least a good weekend.
            SusieQ
            No problem, hope you try it and it makes your life a little easier. I reread the label since my last post and realized I was off on some of the ingredient amounts (darn memory again) but I'm sure you can see that on the labels and compare. The taurine is key, the caffeine only gives short term energy but the taurine is long lasting.

Hope you have a great weekend as well!

Comment

Those of you who exercise regularly...... how old are you?

I tried to join an water aerobics class and failed miserably. The class was about 40 minutes long and I tried to stay till the end only to find out I was supposed to start out doing 10 minutes!

I am 64 and hurt all over from MS and other muscular/skeletal problems. I do move around at home. Sometimes I feel antsy and just keep moving. But it's probably not the same as an exercise routine.
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Marti,

I am 57. I try and walk 1mile to 1 1/2 3 times a week and I also have a treadmill and then I have a recumbant bike that strengthens my legs and some stretches. I'm also try massage therapy. If you start to excersise begin slow. I started out at 5 minutes and try to work myself up every three weeks. When I don't have the energy I just can't do it.
                Hope that gives you some insight. And we're all different and at different places with our MS. I get agitated to and have to keep moving.

SusieQ

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                RRMS

Comment

Resting from sitting

I'm 50. I have to rest after going out, on my scooter, into the living room and sitting in the recliner for a few hours. I have to rest from going to the bathroom. It sucks. I can't do anything at all I used to do because of fatigue.
                  ---------------
                  "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Comment

learning to cope

Wow your doing better then me. 46 next month and the last few times I have tried to work out even just a little has about killed me. Walking aggravates my legs and I get foot drop, tried the tread mill and it made me drunk.

The Y here has a low impact arthritis assc. approved water aerobics class but I would be half the age of the rest of the class.
                    I just pace myself and take a nap if needed, sometimes that most the day. Thought I was havin a good day yesterday till I went to the store for just a few things, in out 5 mins, almost didn't make it home.

I refuse to give up my chickens and dogs, but have an easy care routine for them. The dogs have a fenced yard no walks and have been trained to eat as needed from a feeder I fill a few times a week. The chickens are easy and provide some exercise walking out to the pen, and the eggs are so much better then store bought.

I have also noticed that the dogs have learned my limits and do let me know when I should just "sit and stay"...lol They also are great at cheering me up on those days I just need a friend.

Comment

Prescription!

Marti,

I have had sleep disorder for years and nothing has worked for me. I don't like taking medications but there's a time I have to give in. I was at the Drs. on Monday and said....."I just can't take it", My Dr. prescribed Trazadone 50mgs. I was so excited I got 5 hours in the first night. I was a bit groggy in the A.M. and still am but by mid-morning I felt some energy and of course, I was sooooooooooo excited I burned my fuel without pacing myself. He told me I could take up to 100mgs. but I think that would knock me off my rocker.

To Dale......He said NO energy drinks for me due to my hyper-active thyroid and only being on Rebif for 8 weeks. But, I have to say having a block of 5 hours of sleep I haven't seen in years. I also asked him why he never mentioned this to me sooner. His answer was I know what a hard-head you are about taking meds. Real nice. You may want to speak to the Doc on that. PLUS, it really is an anti-depressant and I was diagnosed with chronic depression at 13. I'm already on meds for that but he said I may get a double-benefit from it. I'm keeping positive it continues to help.
                      My best.....
                      Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                      RRMS

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                        Those of you who exercise regularly...... how old are you?
                        I am 53.

I use an Elliptical and weight train ( I have a 4 station weight machine).

Marti, there is a commercial I see quite often for an arthritis medication that says, A body at rest stays at rest and a body in motion stays in motion. I believe this can be true for MS, too. Any exercise is better than no exercise.

Yes, doing nothing can make a person more tired.
                        Diagnosed 1984
                        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Marti, I'm right there with you. Some days it's a chore just getting out of bed. I'm just about 57, was dx'd in February 2003, but had my first bad exacerbation in early 1988. So, I've been dealing with the MS for 25+ years.

Fatigue has always been an issue, but it's gotten worse in the last 2 to 3 years. I tried Provigil many years ago and it made me feel like the Energizer Bunny on speed. The fatigue was easier to deal with than that jittery feeling. I've been offered Nuvigil and Amantadine. I've turned down both.

There are days I can't string two words together to create a whole thought.

I, too, struggle with feeling like a slacker. When it gets me down, I check it out with my husband for a reality check. He knows my patterns and can tell me if I seem to be experiencing more fatigue or if I have been slacking.

I do have a treadmill and am on it an average of 4 times per week, anywhere from 10 minutes to 40 minutes depending on what my body allows. Mind you, I'm walking, not running; and usually only about 1.5 miles per hour.

I'm sure you've discovered, by now, that you're not alone in the fatigue arena. Stay as positive as you can.

Robin
                          COPAXONE - Feb. '03
                          Dx - Feb. '03
                          1st Sx - March '88

Comment

I noticed my fatigue comes in waves. There are days I feel fine, no tiredness, and I really take advantage of those because I know the fatigue will be back. For me the emotional toll of that roller coaster is worse than the fatigue. I can make plans when I feel good only to have them collapse because I can't move or keep my eyes open.

I took Provigil early on when I was working, it only worked to get me through a few hours in the afternoon, then I guess when it wore off, I felt worse. And I had to keep taking more and more.

It's awful when your mind keeps going but your body doesn't keep up. Just hate it too.

Comment

Fatigue

I have gone through very similar events even thinking my heart wasn't working right. I use to be very active in job and home as a fitness expert for 17 yrs and a triathlete. Well now I am lucky to go for a longer bike ride without resting for the next couple days. And seldom. It is the disease especially if chronic. Vicki

Comment

TO DIANE

After taking steroids, oral or intravenous, your Dr. should be prescribing something for the terrible toll they take on your stomach. That's the only thing that works for me. And, yes, steroids DO make you feel lousy, at least initially.

Hang in there, keep questioning your docs about other options, giving up, however, is not one of them.....

Sue

Comment

Working...
                                X