Depressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depressed

I'm very new to this so I apologise in advance. I was diagnosed with MS almost two years and its been a very difficult struggle. It seems as though I'm just beginning to realise what's actually going on and because of that I've been battling major depression for the past year or two ans it doesnt seem to be getting any better. Every time I try to explain it or talk about it with my husband or close friends they brush it off quickly and say that everyone goes through it. It's very difficult for me to deal with it and all of my MS symptoms. Does anyone have any advice? I feel like I'm drowning here. Thanks

Sure, no problem. And first off, don't apologize.

When I found myself in a dark place, I told my family doc, who I have a good rapport with. I trust him; He was actually the doc who diagnosed me (and sent me off for a second opinion; He is very well-read and stays on top of current developments. I don't know if your doc is a resource for you or a roadblock. I hope it's the former. If you have someone in the medical field that you can trust like I do, I'd tell them.

It seems to me like you have good reason to be depressed although you only allude to "what is going on" to make you depressed. So, what exactly is going on with you re: MS and symptoms? Anxiety? Are you worrying about potential future problems? Current ones?

Besides trying to share how you're feeling with the usual suspects, (perfectly normal response, by the way) what other things do you do to try to feel better? What other activities do you find soothing/calming/comforting?

Comment

Hello Fitzgirl and welcome to MSWorld.

Depression can be treated with anti-depressants and/or Psychotherapy. Ideally a Psychiatrist is the best Physician for the treatment of depression as it's their specialty, but your Primary Care Physician or Neurologist can prescribe anti-depressants.

If you are using a DMD your depression could be a side effect of the medication. Depression can be caused by trying to process and cope with a chronic disease like MS (situational). Depression can also be part of the disease process, for some.

Regardless of the cause treatment is the same....medication and Psychotherapy.

Take care
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Fitzgirl:

I'm sorry to see that you're feeling so low.

What might be good advice to you depends a lot on what you've already tried to feel better. For example, does your primary doctor know how depressed you are? Does your neurologist know?

Are you in therapy with a mental health professional? How long have you been in therapy? How many therapists have you seen? Sometimes it takes two or three matchups to find one that works.

Are you taking an antidepressant? How long have you been taking it? How many antidepressants have you tried? Sometimes it takes several weeks and two or three or more tries to find a med that helps.

What other medications are you taking? Sometimes depression can be a side effect of medications.

What are your expectations of your friends and family? Are you pleased with them ONLY when they give you a response that you find acceptable and displeased when they don't? Do you feel that, if only everybody else would change their behavior, then you could be happy? Do you feel like your need to be understood obligates everyone around you to understand you, and you take it personally when they don't? Do you find yourself thinking that if you could only explain things the right way, then everyone else would come around to your way of thinking, and you take it personally when you don't seem to be able to explain?

One of the hard parts about having a chronic illness is learning how to have realistic expectations about what you can and can't control. And the truth is, none of us can control very much, so we have to stop allowing our happiness to depend on being able to control things -- and people -- we can't control.

You can't change or control anyone but yourself. That's why my questions about therapy and medication are so important.

What have you done/are you doing to try to ease your depression? When we know what you've already tried, more people may have advice that might even be useful.

Comment

Hi Fitzgirl:

If you're looking for a more authoritative source of advice about your depression than a bunch of people in an online forum, the following is what the US National Multiple Sclerosis Society says about depression and MS. I have added emphasis to the most important points of the article.Depression

"'Depression' is a term that people apply to a wide variety of emotional states. These may range from feeling down for a few hours on a given day to severe clinical depression that may last for several months. People with MS and their family members and friends should be aware that depression in its various forms is one of the most common symptoms of MS, which can be caused by changes in the immune system and in the brain, as well as by the challenges and stresses of living with a chronic, progressive illness. In fact, studies have suggested that clinical depression, the severest form of depression, is more frequent among people with MS than it is in the general population or even in persons with many other chronic, disabling conditions.

Depression is not a sign of personal weakness. It is a significant, potentially life-threatening symptom that interferes with function and quality of life and makes other MS symptoms feel worse. As with any other symptom of MS, early assessment and treatment are essential.

The most effective treatment for depression is a combination of psychotherapy and antidepressant medication. Exercise has also been shown to enhance mood. Although support groups may be helpful for less severe depressive symptoms and generalized distress, they are no substitute for intensive clinical treatment.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...tional-Changes

Fitzgirl, as much as you might want your family and friends to be your understanding support system, they aren't qualified to act as therapists. As individuals, they can't even say or do or act exactly as you want them to. They can't do for you what you want them to do.

The best advice anyone can give you is to immediately get yourself into intensive clinical treatment that includes psychotherapy and medication.

So please call your primary doc or neurologist ASAP and get an urgent referral to a psychiatrist. If you can't wait that long, go to the nearest emergency room and tell them how depressed you are. If you're drowning, nothing less will do. It's THAT important. YOU are that important.

Comment

Thank you.

A huge thank you to all of you for your help! I went to see both my neurologist and my family doctor this past week and we are working on a solution for my issues. This has been a very long road for me as it has for all of you I am sure. If anyone has any words of advice for how to deal with MS and depression along with your family life please feel free to send it my way. Thank you all again

Comment

Working...
            X