No one home in my head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one home in my head

I've had this issue/symptom twice in the past few months. It's been lasting about a week to two weeks, then clears.

I feel like there is no brain function at all! I can have a conversation (which I really strain to follow), and 5 minutes later, have no clue what was said, and the worse part, is I don't really care!

My job (that I've been doing over 15 years) is to schedule appointments. I've scheduled everything that I normally do about 1000 times, but I really have to think a lot more than normally

It's frustrating because part of me realizes that something's "whacked", the other part has no idea.

I'm on 10 milligrams Ritalin as it is. Not sure if I need to increase dosage or if this may be totally unrelated.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

I think the worse part of it (besides having to think harder), is that I really don't care (which I'm normally a caring person).

Thanks and sorry so long

Originally posted by seal View Post
    I've had this issue/symptom twice in the past few months. It's been lasting about a week to two weeks, then clears.

I feel like there is no brain function at all! I can have a conversation (which I really strain to follow), and 5 minutes later, have no clue what was said, and the worse part, is I don't really care!

My job (that I've been doing over 15 years) is to schedule appointments. I've scheduled everything that I normally do about 1000 times, but I really have to think a lot more than normally

It's frustrating because part of me realizes that something's "whacked", the other part has no idea.

I'm on 10 milligrams Ritalin as it is. Not sure if I need to increase dosage or if this may be totally unrelated.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

I think the worse part of it (besides having to think harder), is that I really don't care (which I'm normally a caring person).

Thanks and sorry so long
    Sounds like you are experiencing Cog fog... It is no fun, I have to deal with it for about 30-40% of my day now, mid afternoon seems to be the worst. It hits me when I'm driving sometimes and that can be pretty scary!

Comment

I have to deal with same thing! Totally frustrating. I work in healthcare and it really bothers me, especially if I think I made a mistake about something ie medications!!

I have told my neuro and he thinks that since I am aware of it, it is better than not being aware! Sorry, don't agree with that!

Anyway, I write everything down for my recall. I also feel that I don't care one iota about some things too. Ugh, was never like this. Hate MS and cog fog!!!!

Comment

Seal, I have family near you. Are you a Hoosier, or was it the University that brought you to Indiana?

I have my own cognitive struggles. Learning that this can come with ms shortly after I was diagnosed was one of the most painful and frightening moments of this journey for me. But, knowing, I was better prepared when I saw I was starting to forget things. I think knowing also saved my marriage, at least to date. At least I don't think my husband is nuts when he tells me I forget things.

@Moz, I think what your neuro was getting that is that there are people who are cognitively far worse off than we are. Think Alzheimers.

The research I did into ms suggests that true dementia is rare, but not unknown in ms. The cog symptoms we struggle with are less than that.

More typically, we keep most of our marbles. Short term memory is a common weak point because of atrophy in the hippocampus. We can also can have less emotional control. I know I have a shorter temper than I did. At least I'm aware that my perspective may be skewed by my disease.

Seal, I'm not sure that what comforts me will be of any use to you, but Jill Bolte Taylor's TedTalk, about surviving her stroke and observing it from the inside, is something that relates to what you were posting about, and I find it inspiring. I also liked her book... but I'm a nerd.

Having said that, all of this is tragic. We need a cure.

Comment

Thank you all for your input. After I posted, I started thinking it may be cog fog (but, of course, needed verification, I've been thinking about it, but forgot what I was thinking!)

Pipes 123, my sisters sort of migrated up here years ago.

Are you near by? Send me an e-mail if you like

Thanks again all!

Comment

Seal, I'm not close, but do visit the area.

Thanks for the invitation to email. It doesn't work, since you are absolutely correct in not having your email in your profile. If you like, I can ping you when I'm next likely to be in your neighborhood.

Comment

Yes Pipes, I know there are worse off than me but doesn't help me to know that I am making mistakes that shouldn't be. When will this stop? Setting myself up for big lawsuit and I think so is the neuro since I told him about it.

Being that I work in medical, any type of memory issues or confusion leaves no room for errors.

I now hate the job I am in. It sucks big time and I can't seem to get out of it without giving up any pay I do get although not much these days. At least not enough for two people to survive on in NYC.

Comment

Lights are on, but nobody's home

I feel like that all the time. Sorry I'm complaining but I need to vent to someone.

Comment

Working...
                X