Is this cognitive dysfunction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this cognitive dysfunction?

So I've got short term memory loss, but just seeing that this is a forum makes me wonder...

I can recall specifically I once wanted to see if it was more economical to buy Coke in 710ml vs 355ml cans since a bunch of stores had 710ml on sale. This is just stupidity for my own curiosity.
    So as you can imagine I had to calculate total case mL. 355 x 24 wow vs the 710s

This is really basic stuff that anyone should know. Not even like long division or something. I had to crunch the numbers several times and kept getting different results. I want to say I for sure know what to do, but I just couldn't put it in to practice.

This happened quite a few times with different things. I don't know if still would because I just haven't tried since.

I also don't get these ON attacks or episodes. I mean, ya I'm newly diagnosed, minor bad vision was the very first thing. It's just gotten worse, I now even have double. I never had an episode. It started 6 months ago and only got worse.
    So I read about episodes of cognitive dysfunction. Whether I show signs or not I just don't understand the episodes or attacks. But I also am only familiar with my own MS experience :\
    Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
    Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

What you are explaining with the Cokes, is classic cognitive dysfunction. It can be sneaky like that, things like math become hard to do. Mine started that way. I all of a sudden couldn't multiply, then divide, then subtract, and I told my neurologist I could add, with my DH shaking his head no behind me I learned later. She (my MS neuro) gave me this monster addition equation, and I asked for a piece of paper, so she said, "no, you cannot add". It is sneaky like that. It does come and go however, and thank goodness for that. A good thing to do is to get a neuropsychological exam to get a baseline and to get help with strategies to assist you with problems you have that are specific to you.
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ion/index.aspx

As far as not knowing much about your disease, some learn as they go. Some read a lot about it early on so they know what to expect, some let it come to them as the symptoms do, some choose not to study it at all even after the symptoms and new problems have been diagnosed (ON etc.) No way is better than the other. They are all individual decisions, or unconscious decisions that we have made about our disease course. You should talk with your neurologist about they way you feel about your indifference to your disease that you do not mean to have. Ask him/her if it could be related to your cognitive dysfunction.

Let us know how it goes with your doc if you want to so that others may learn too.

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks. At first I thought I just forgot... Basic math

I've had escalating symptoms since May '13, but was diagnosed December '13

I only started looking in to MS after Xmas. I'm on this forum everyday since. I at least want to try and understand so I can remember to bring it up to my neuro.

Thank you so much. I've gotten nothing but helpful feedback on here. This helps me understand that I'm not just forgetting how to do things, it could be a symptom.

Again, thank you

Comment

Interesting. I've had these mathematical issues for some while - I had just put it down to lack of interest. As a shopper, I too calculate sales, and have had this exact thing happen to me too. I returned to School in 2009 (pre MS Dx) to do a Business Degree, a lot of mathematics, but rarely advanced beyond basic algebra - in my 4th semester my grades fell from a A- to a D. I wrote a finance exam that prompted the prof to call me in - nothing, I mean nothing, made any sense on that exam - I swore I was sober and privately questioned my sanity. I was fortunate to have been offered a psychoeducational evaluation, which I think is like a light version of a nueropsychological exam, and it was seen that processing speed was effected.

Also - we have hosted chats through the week and on Wednesday evenings we have the Newly Diagnosed chat, here is the hosted chat schedule. The chat room is always open outside of these times too.

http://www.msworld.org/ChatRoom_Info

M
        “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
        ~ Mark Twain . . .Or a typo on the Internet. Srsly.

Comment

I too lost some of my mathematical skills. And Lisa explained it very well! I had the testing done so I had a baseline that the doctor could use to see which way I was going. Every year (or more often if need be when problems occur) I go back and retake the test, and a week or so later I go back and he can show me what the results were (whether I had regained what I had lost or any new issues that I have not noticed myself).
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

This is all so helpful to know. Thank you everyone.

Is there somewhere I can view/download a basic math test? I want to know if it's gotten better or worse since

Comment

You could try something online like luminosity to keep track of how you are doing.

You may want to ask your neuro for a quick test or about getting a referral to a neuropsychologist too for testing. I don't think neuropsychologists are covered by OHIP unless they are part of an OHIP covered rehabilitation facility, but I could be wrong. The full testing is about 3.5 to 4 hours. I was fortunate to have been evaluated when I was attending outpatient rehab. Well, as fortunate as it can be. Wish I didn't need to be there!

Comment

Working...
              X