Ankle "giving in"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ankle "giving in"

Just happened for the third time today. I get up and start walking, and once I make a step, a sharp pain hits the arch of the foot, and the ankle "folds in". It also felt like the tibia bone kept moving down through the ankle joint. Very weird. So, I almost fell down three times today. What's going on? Does anyone have the same thing, and how do you deal with it?

PS. Also, I had spasms in the calf of this same leg for a month now (not strong but constant). Can it be the reason for this new problem?

Mine does that once in a while, but I've never figured out what's causing it or how to prevent it. You might want to use a cane or walker for a couple days until you're sure it's gone away for now. I've never had more than 3 incidents in a short period of time, then I'm fine for many months.

Comment

I am a big believer in getting your gait analyzed by a physical therapist or podiatrist. My foot does roll in and need orthotics to correct. If not wearing them or barefoot, look out.

I also have to do a lot of calf stretching to avoid cramping in calves, likewise, some exercises to stretch arch of foot.

I thought the calves cramping was spasticity, turns out I have a few issues with the bone and tendon structure in my feet that may be the culprit.

Hope you get some answers and relief.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Overpronation is when the foot rolls too far inward toward the arch. When your ankle rotates in, the knee and hip follow, and consequently are also strained. I would also suggest you see a podiatrist and/ or PT for further evaluation and to address the problem.

Here's some additional info ~

https://www.healthline.com/health/overpronation#outlook

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320383

Best of luck.
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Totally agree Kimba. I always believe we need to rule other causes out before saying it is our MS. And I am an overoronator, hence the need for orthotics! And they make a huge difference.
          Kathy

Comment

Thank you all so much for replying!

About different causes. I have a beginning of arthriths in both ankles, evenly. But calf cramp for weeks is only in the right ankle, the one that gave in.

I have very high arches and wear special support insoles since about 2004 or earlier. I have orthotics even in the house shoes (glued also into my slippers and summer sandals), so pronation is always corrected.

I've never had more than 3 incidents in a short period of time, then I'm fine for many months.
            Good to know!

What scared me the most: last "ankle out" happened on the stairs, even though I was already scared and cautious. We have a townhouse and stairs are unavoidable. It's not enough that I periodically misjudge the steps and fall down, now the ankle is going to crash me too!

Man, am I ever pissed off at having to live in this house!

Comment

Do you get your orthotics reevaluated regularly? I skipped during the pandemic, which is when I started having more trouble. Finally went and sure enough, both feet had changed some, with the foot I was having a problem in changing more.

If you have had recent evals, I would still get a physical therapist eval and get exercises to strengthen and stretch impacted areas. Especially important since you have stairs.
              Kathy

Comment

In addition to your orthotics , a foot and ankle orthosis (brace) may hold the ankle in position and make your steps more stable.

Sorry to hear about the stairs. I know how dangerous they can be just with MS. I fell numerous while using them in our last house, and was so lucky I didn't break something.

I hope you find solutions. Best of luck!
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Do you get your orthotics reevaluated regularly?
                  I haven't for a while. Last big change in my feet happened post-pregnancy. I thought nothing major can happen in one-two-three years.

a foot and ankle orthosis (brace) may hold the ankle in position and make your steps more stable
                  That's a good idea!

Thank you all again for replying!

Comment

Working...
                  X