Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of using a catheter

Hi Everyone.

I'm looking for some advice. I can't urinate. I've been taking tamsulosin, but I've had very bad side effects (chest pain, heart pain, and palpitations). The last time I used tamsulosin before that was when I was in the hospital because of an MS attack, and my heartbeat increased all the way to 150 (upon seeing the increased heartbeat, a nurse rushed in and forbid me from trying to get up).

Now I feel the time has come for self-cath. I will book an appointment to see a urologist, but I don't know anything about catheters. This is a question for other women who have been using catheters.Which catheters would you advice me to use? Which are the best ones and the smallest ones in size? I'm in total despair and I don't know what to do.

Thank you.

Hi amalia:

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me when I was little.

When I was 5, I was really worried about starting the 1st grade because I didn't know how to read. My mother pointed out to me that one of the reasons I would be going to school was to learn how to read. I would be going to school because that's where they would teach me to read.

The same kind of thing will happen when you go to the urologist. It's OK that you don't know what to do. Right now, you're not supposed to know what to do. That's why you'll be going to the urologist. You'll be evaluated there, and at some point a nurse or other trainer will teach you about catheters and how to self-cath. You're not going to have to figure it out on your own.

In the meantime, you can google "catheter samples" and see the possibilities for getting sample packs of catheters through medical supply companies. When the time comes, you can work with your insurance company to try out different kinds and see what works best for you.

So you don't have to despair at the unknown. Everything will unfold at the proper time, and then you'll wonder what you were so worried about.

Comment

As jreagan said, a nurse will teach you how to self cath. I learned how 20 years ago after bladder support surgery. The nurse had me sit backward on the toilet with a mirror propped up where the seat and lid meet. You can get a mirror that straps to your leg.

After a while you won't need the mirror, you can just do it by feel. It makes life easier for me to be able to empty my bladder completely on my schedule. It's not uncomfortable and is just part of everyday life now.

Catheters come in different sizes by circumference with a 14fr being most common. If it is uncomfortable you can use a smaller size. You can buy single use catheters, lubricant packets, and antibacterial wipes online from medical supply companies.
      There is a real small prelubricated catheter called Speedi Cath Compact that is easy to carry in your purse or pocket.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Jreagan70

That is the most thorough and kind explanation of ANYTHING that I have ever heard. I'm not in the position amalia66 is, but I will remember those words when I find myself in a confusing/scary spot. Thank you very much.

Amalia66

I truly wish you the very best in conquering this new challenge. You got this. You really do.
        "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
        Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Thank you to everyone who replied, and thank you for the good wishes.

JReagan70, I like how you're able to look at a negative situation and turn it into something light and funny.

I understand sometimes that I need to be calmer about these things.

Comment

I used to have an indwelling catheter (supra-pubic cath) but I had it taken out due to chronic infections. I now use the in and out catheters. My favorite is the spedicath, it is small, comes pre-lubricated, and is in its own case about the size of a lipstick so you can stash several in your purse or pocket and go. Its eyelets are not completely smooth so sometimes you will feel a twinge when pulling it out, but no pain by any means. The kit also comes with gloves and antiseptic whipes.

There is a catheter that has smooth eyelets so that you do not feel it at all, but it is in a bulky case, and you have to take around a tube of lube with you.

All of the rest come in long cases that are hard to carry around, are not pre-lubricaed, and do not come with gloves and other accessories.

That is why the spedicath is my favorite.
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Hi Cyclist,
              Thank you so much for the very informative feedback! This was exactly what I was looking for when I posted this thread. I hope you are well. I haven't seen your posts lately, and I was wondering how you were doing. I hope everything is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by amalia66 View Post
                Hi Cyclist,
                Thank you so much for the very informative feedback! This was exactly what I was looking for when I posted this thread. I hope you are well. I haven't seen your posts lately, and I was wondering how you were doing. I hope everything is fine.
                Thanks, I am doing better...you all know how it is!

Lisa
                Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X