Tired Arm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired Arm?

Hi everyone! I haven't visited here in a while. Actually, I have been doing pretty well until just recently.

I have been getting this weird feeling in my right arm for the past few days and I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this: my right arm feels "tired" like I just did several sets of arm curls or like I just spent 20 minutes holding up a hair dryer, but i'm not sore?

It's a weird feeling because I haven't done any real exercises with my arms lately. I have been taking brisk walks nearly every day this week, but it would seem odd to have that tired feeling in my arm just from the natural swing from a brisk walk. My left arm is fine.

I have also had numbness on the top on my right foot and ankle for the last couple of weeks, but it's not numb enough to inhibit walking, it just feels weird when I touch it or something brushes up against it.

As background, I was diagnosed with RRMS in late 2012 and I have only had two official relapses. My first relapse was numbness in my pinky/ring finger on my left hand and my second relapse was Optic Neuritis in my left eye--I've never had issues in my right side.

Overall, I have been extremely lucky, but now I'm wondering if this worth a phone call to the neurologist. I'm not currently on any medications, I have been off Gilenya for about three months now - I should probably get back on it (I got off it for dumb reasons, like not wanting to deal with the specialty pharmacy and their long holds).

To your arm, that sounds like weakness to me. At least, that's how I experience it.

Given the nature of how long your new symptoms have lasted, I'd consider that a relapse and yes, that warrants a phone call to the Neurologist.

Hugs.

Comment

Hi angel:

The definition of a relapse is the onset of new, or worsening of existing, symptoms that are consistent with a demyelinating event of the central nervous system lasting longer than 24 hours in the absence of fever or infection.

Your description sounds like that, plus your new symptoms are notable for being on one side only, which is typical of MS.

Relapses don't have to be severe to count as relapses and they don't necessarily have to be treated. But they should be noted as markers for how your MS is progressing. Your symptoms are especially notable because they occurred within a reasonable amount of time after you stopped taking Gilenya. That's a clue about what may have happened and a clue about what you may need to do if you'd like to reduce the number of relapses you're having and the amount of disability you're accumulating.

Very definitely worth a call to -- and maybe a visit with -- your neurologist.

Comment

Hey angel,

Your right arm is exactly what I have experienced with weakness. Actually, history pretty similar.

I had a bout of vertigo and left eye optic neuritis. Both resolved. Next was numbness in right hand, thumb and index. Some right foot numbness. Most of my symptoms are right side.

Have you called your neuro yet? It's important they know. Even if not treated, a relapse should trigger some discussion on DMTs. If you didn't like Gilenya, let your Dr. Know and discuss other options.

I have right hand numbness and weakness. Somewhat funny story. I once beaned some poor stranger in the back of the head with my cell phone when I tried to take it out of my bag while riding the train! The guy avoided sitting anywhere near me after that. Can't say I blame him! Some woman came up to me later, said it was her ex-boyfriend, and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy! I was just so embarrassed .

Good luck.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          Hey angel,

Your right arm is exactly what I have experienced with weakness. Actually, history pretty similar.

I had a bout of vertigo and left eye optic neuritis. Both resolved. Next was numbness in right hand, thumb and index. Some right foot numbness. Most of my symptoms are right side.

Have you called your neuro yet? It's important they know. Even if not treated, a relapse should trigger some discussion on DMTs. If you didn't like Gilenya, let your Dr. Know and discuss other options.

I have right hand numbness and weakness. Somewhat funny story. I once beaned some poor stranger in the back of the head with my cell phone when I tried to take it out of my bag while riding the train! The guy avoided sitting anywhere near me after that. Can't say I blame him! Some woman came up to me later, said it was her ex-boyfriend, and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy! I was just so embarrassed .

Good luck.
          HI! I finally visited my neuro yesterday and he was able to see my arm weakness in his testing. He was also able to confirm the numb area on my right foot. So you know how this stinking disease is, nothing can really be done about these small symptoms, but for some odd reason it was SO SATISFYING that my doctor was able to validate the symptoms. Sometimes I think I just imagine this stuff up (or people will have me believe).

I decided to get back on Gilenya. The good news is that because I had zero noticeable side effects when I was taking it, I don't have to sit at his office all day on the first day I take it again, he just wanted to make sure I take it on a day where another responsible adult is home with me, just in case I start feeling wonky.

And that was TOO FUNNY about the guy you beaned. That was probably less about your MS and more about his Karma! LOL

Comment

I can be doing something as minor as eating dinner when I will suddenly run out of strength in my arm. I either have to swap hands or literally take my mouth to the fork/spoon.

Comment

Working...
            X