UTI's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTI's

I have had 4 UTI's in a month and a half. I bought test strips so I could avoid the doctor visits and the discomfort while waiting to see the doctor. I have an ongoing prescription for an antibiotic but I think I'm becoming immune to it.

I do have to self-cath but believe me I am very careful. I just don't know what to do anymore. Along with all the other sx I have, I have become very discouraged. Like "what's the point?"

Has anyone found a way to avoid so many infections????

The UTI bacteria may have become resistant to the antibiotic you are taking. Go to the doctor before you take any of the antibiotics next time. They can culture the specimen and can prescribe one that will work.

A few days after you finish your antibiotics, test again to see if it cleared up completely.

Always take the whole prescription, even if it seems to have cleared up. I used to short it by one day, so I'd have some to start if I needed them. I seemed to get UTI's on weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
      I have had 4 UTI's in a month and a half. I bought test strips so I could avoid the doctor visits and the discomfort while waiting to see the doctor. I have an ongoing prescription for an antibiotic but I think I'm becoming immune to it.

I do have to self-cath but believe me I am very careful. I just don't know what to do anymore. Along with all the other sx I have, I have become very discouraged. Like "what's the point?"

Has anyone found a way to avoid so many infections????
      Sorry to hear about the repeated UTIs...I've had that problem before.

You say you have a ongoing prescription for antibiotic, but the reason you could be getting repeated infections is the antibiotic you're using doesn't target the type of bacteria that is
      causing the UTI.

Next time you have a Uti, don't start the antibiotic, but instead, go to the doctor and let them
      have a sample to send out for a culture. A culture will let them know exactly what type of
      bacteria is causing the UTI and it will also tell them which antibiotics are effective against
      that bacteria. It could be the bacteria is not susceptible to the antibiotic.

I've had this happen many times where we've had to change antibiotics because when the
      culture came back the antibiotic that was given me wasn't any good at "killing" the strain of
      bacteria that was causing the infection.

As far as prevention, it's so frustrating because I will think I have found a routine that works, and
      may go months without a UTI, and then I get one. A lot of times with MS patients, the MS prevents them from emptying their bladder completely, and that is what causes the UTI. But you
      said you cathed and that can be a cause of UTIs also.

After years of trying different regimens for prevention. This is what's helped me. I take D-Mannose (you can buy it on Amazon or in a health food store.) It comes in tablets or in powder
      form. My urologist told me it makes it harder for the bacteria to adhere to the bladder, and that's
      why it helps. I also take Vitamin C throughout the day, and a RX that makes the urine acidic, called Methenamine Hippurate. "Supposedly" if you can keep your urine acidic, the bacteria cannot
      thrive in that environment. Methenamine and Vitamin C, both bring about that acidity.

My urologist has, on occasion, given me meds that help relax the bladder muscles and therefore allow more complete elimination of urine. I've taken these at times, the latest one prescribed is
      Doxazosin...but I think it relaxes it too much and causes many trips to the bathroom.

Unsweetened cranberry juice is another remedy that is supposed to prevent bladder infections. I drink it, but haven't found when I used it, apart from the other supplements, that it did the trick
      all on it's own.

I'm sure other people have methods they use. The thing I hate about UTIs is my MS is so ramped up when I have one. So the fewer the better. I hope you find something that works for you.

On a positive note, I have gone months with a bladder infection every other week, and then had
      them disappear for months at a time. So let's hope your's are going to go away and stay away.

Comment

Hi loopey, I also have to self-cath and I take a low dose antibiotic and I clean myself with a betadine antiseptic wipe ea time. I believe the betadine has helped more than anything because I was getting
        a lot of uti's ea year now I may get 2.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

After you get your culture result talk to your doctor and try Dmannose, it treats UTIs caused be ecoli bacteria. I take now every other day and have not had a UTI in 3 years! I tell everyone about it!

Comment

I forgot to add I take 4 cranberry pills a day. 2 morn. 2 night
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
              The UTI bacteria may have become resistant to the antibiotic you are taking. Go to the doctor before you take any of the antibiotics next time. They can culture the specimen and can prescribe one that will work.

A few days after you finish your antibiotics, test again to see if it cleared up completely.

Always take the whole prescription, even if it seems to have cleared up. I used to short it by one day, so I'd have some to start if I needed them. I seemed to get UTI's on weekends.
              I just figured out if you scroll down further in this section of the forum, there are other posts

I second this recommendation. This happened to my Mom too. They kept giving her the same antibiotic instead of testing the strain specifically to give her an antibiotic that will knock it out. Hers became resistant to the one she was taking as well. I hope you feel better soon <3

Comment

Thank You!

Thank you, RDMC!

I would much rather prevent the UTI than cure it! I have ordered D-Mannose on Amazon and from what I have read this might very well do the trick. How many mg do you take a day?

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
                  Thank you, RDMC!

I would much rather prevent the UTI than cure it! I have ordered D-Mannose on Amazon and from what I have read this might very well do the trick. How many mg do you take a day?
                  I used to buy the powder, but now I use capsules. So I take 3 capsules, twice a day...morning and about an hour before bed.

I just checked the label and it says you can take 3 capsules up to 3 times a day. Glad you bought it on Amazon, it's reasonably priced, at a health food or vitamin store...outrageously priced.

There are those that claim they can clear up a UTI infection by taking D-Mannose every few hours till the infection clears. That has not been my experience. I've tried it a couple of times and it hasn't worked for me, so off to the urologist or walk in I go to give a sample so that I can get
                  a culture.

My urologist is old school...no collection cups for them, they do a straight cath. to get a sample. Although a hassle, I know they're getting an "uncontaminated" sample. But for some reason, UTIs seem to hit on a weekend, and so I also use a walk in. Even the new "minute clinics" inside drug stores like CVS and Walgreens, will see you for a UTI and send it off for a culture, then prescribe an antibiotic to use until the culture comes in and they confirm what "bug" they're dealing with

I hope the d-mannose works for you.

Comment

Just noticed this post today, or I would have replied sooner.

I used to try cranberry juice or cranberry supplements, but they didn't ever seem to help me.

I also recommend D-Mannose. I used to take the powder, and to use it daily. I didn't ever have UTI's as frequently as you did, but, often twice a year or so. After beginning D-Mannose years ago, I haven't had one. And, actually, I don't even take D-Mannose anymore. My MS, in general, has seemed to be under much better control for the last 6 or 8 years, and, after awhile, I just started hoping I wouldn't need it anymore for prevention, and, knock on wood, so far, I don't.
                    • Other prevention strategies:
                    • Drink enough fluids
                    • Empty bladder after sex
                    • Don't hold it
                    • Wipe from front to back
                    • Shower, instead of bathe
                    • Eat probiotics or take probiotic supplements
                    • Change immediately out of swimsuits or sweaty exercise clothing
                    • Tampons are better than sanitary pads
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

My neurologist told me to take cranberry pills along with vitamin C. Cranberry does not work alone, for me. So I take two 4200 mcg cranberry pills twice a day and one vitamin C once a day. Haven't had a UTI since. It's been two years!!

Comment

Originally posted by suenan View Post
                        My neurologist told me to take cranberry pills along with vitamin C. Cranberry does not work alone, for me. So I take two 4200 mcg cranberry pills twice a day and one vitamin C once a day. Haven't had a UTI since. It's been two years!!
                        Cranberry alone doesn't work for me. I didn't try it in combination with Vitamin C.
                        ~ Faith
                        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                        X