Exaggerated startle response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exaggerated startle response

My leg kicks while at rest. While watching a violent, intense movie both legs and arms and even who,e body at times went crazy with what I would call an exaggerated startle response. I wasn't scared but my body didn't tolerate the intense action. Does anyone else have hyper responses?

I do. I think it's categorised as a type of myoclonus.

Sudden loud noises literally send me through the roof but other times it can be nothing in particular and my leg will suddenly jerk. If I'm standing up it makes my whole body do a weird 'wobble' type thing.

Comment

This just started for me a few weeks ago. Not to startle but spontaneously and sometimes as intention. I start to shiver and my arms and shoulders go out of control for several seconds. Or I lift my arm and lose control- it flies up and starts slapping or scratching my face again for just few seconds. At worst arms and legs go flying uncontrollably for several seconds few times in a row.
      Just had two courses of steroids to try to get it under control. My neurologist took my Ampyra and now Modafinil away saying they may be cause. But still having them ( went away for 2-3 days after each course of steroids then came right back). Appointment tomorrow to discuss starting anti seizure meds. Out of work 3 weeks now because of them.
      I've been told myoclonus, chorea, ballism, movement disorder, and partial seizures. Who knows? Just want them gone so I can get back to work and life.

Comment

Hello Jamieleigh,

Are you diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis? Have you discussed this with your Neurologist?

I don't know if you are experiencing Myoclonus as others have suggested. Information about Myoclonus: https://www.bcm.edu/healthcare/care-...ions/myoclonus

I have an exaggerated startle response unrelated to MS or Myoclonus and not what you describe. My daughter also has an exaggerated startle response and hers is much worse than mine but not what you describe.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
        X