Psoas muscle pain? random I know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psoas muscle pain? random I know....

Does any else have psoas muscle pain? It's the muscle the wraps around the lower back, over the hip.
    It is so achy and deep ache.
    Anyone else?

This is a muscle that is responsible for a lot of back pain. Many years ago a brilliant physical therapist, when I called him in desperation, told me to get about 5 pillows (or as many as you can), lie on your back and put them under your knees. If it still hurts, get another pillow...

He told me this will take the pressure off the psoas muscle. It worked for me. I also put ice under my low back. When I didn't have pillows, I would lie on the living room floor on my back, put my calves on the ottoman with knees bent at a 90 degree angle.

When that thing used to cramp up, his guidance was a Godsend. This really isn't an MS condition (I don't think), but we are all people and we get this kind of stuff.

If you can still walk, walking in a very relaxed powerful manner with good posture, stomach tighten up can get it loosened up and get you back in business again. I hope this is helpful for you.

Comment

just started as far as I can tell

I just started exploring this muscle.

I have had back pain due to severe arthritis and herniated disks for many years. I had my back injected with steroids 5 years ago. And, by being in the pool and exercising and moving has kept it at bay for the most part.

Over doing it (5 minutes on the eliptical, 5 minutes on the tredmill, and 5 minutes on the recumbant bike) along with some walking in Amish country, has set me back to 5 years ago.

Physical therapy, still doing water aerobics, and moving as much as possible without trying to agrivate my back has been my goal since last September. Along with massage, acupuncture, Reike, along with several other complimentary therapies to keep things calm in that area.

I have now aggravated my arthritis in my right hip with the way that I am walking with this.

This past month I am, again like in December, awakening with leg/hip pain after my pain medications have worn off. But, unlike December, i am having a spasms internally that I have figured out must be my psoas muscle. It is deep in the area that it is where it is located. I believe that muscle is working over time to keep my other pain at bay and stabilizing my walking. I have decided to stop being stubborn with using my cane.

I google yoga moves to help with the psoas muscle and have started them this week. Along with talking over with my yoga instructor. She also discussed that there is a pilates move that can probably help with that in the pilates reformer class. I will explore that if the yoga moves do not help.

This all is stemming from my insurance company denying any further steroid injections in my back, after the first one. To long of a story to explain here.

Google (or other search engines) search yoga moves that help the psoas muscle. There is plenty to do besides the pillows under the knees.
      God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
      X