Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immune System Shot?

Hi,

I am recently diagnosed with MS (though the doctors believe I've had it for about 12 years). I'm wondering if people with MS often get sick with colds, sinus infections, flus etc? I have been sick every month since November 2015 to present - with only a week or two without any illness. Looking back over the last couple of years, I also see this pattern with getting sick frequently. It this a common part of the disease? I should note that I eat super healthy (Paleo), take supplements, juice, etc. I really do try and take good care of myself! I'm just trying to figure this whole this out.

Thanks!

Hi AVERY83:

No, getting sick frequently is not a common part of MS. The immune system in MS is misdirected, but it isn't itself under- or overpowered.

Frequent illness -- that is, catching contagious illnesses -- isn't part of descriptions of MS in scientific writings, and if you read through archives of message boards and forums, you'll see that the general discussion shows the usual distribution of individual variation: some people are sick a lot, some are rarely sick, and some get the usual one cold or flu per year. I get the usual one cold per year, and have actually gone years between getting sick.

While MS isn't itself a cause of getting sick, the immunosuppressive and immunomodulative disease-modifying medications that many people with MS take can and do suppress people's ability to fight off ilnesses. Infection is always on the list of potential side effects, and some people have to stop taking particular meds because of frequent infection. Are you taking any medications that affect immune response, for MS or any other condition? That could be an overlooked answer.

Even though you're trying to eat healthfully, there could still be something you're missing in your diet, something you're out of balance on (e.g., fruit juice sounds healthy but it's just an extra load of sugar, which is inflammatory), some contributory aspect of your individual body chemistry, or some other environmental situation you're exposed to. But MS itself? No.

Comment

from the sounds of it, some of the common diseases are passed along from person to person because of the lack of things like handwashing. I am not saying you get sick so often is because you are not being sanitary enough, but you do not know about the person that touched that doorknob 10 minutes before he you did. This is just something that crossed my mind. Good luck
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
        from the sounds of it, some of the common diseases are passed along from person to person because of the lack of things like handwashing. I am not saying you get sick so often is because you are not being sanitary enough, but you do not know about the person that touched that doorknob 10 minutes before he you did. This is just something that crossed my mind. Good luck

This is a good point. I do have 4 yo twins and while we practice handwashing at home, they are in school during the week. Thanks so much for your reply!!

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
          Hi AVERY83:

No, getting sick frequently is not a common part of MS. The immune system in MS is misdirected, but it isn't itself under- or overpowered.

Frequent illness -- that is, catching contagious illnesses -- isn't part of descriptions of MS in scientific writings, and if you read through archives of message boards and forums, you'll see that the general discussion shows the usual distribution of individual variation: some people are sick a lot, some are rarely sick, and some get the usual one cold or flu per year. I get the usual one cold per year, and have actually gone years between getting sick.

While MS isn't itself a cause of getting sick, the immunosuppressive and immunomodulative disease-modifying medications that many people with MS take can and do suppress people's ability to fight off ilnesses. Infection is always on the list of potential side effects, and some people have to stop taking particular meds because of frequent infection. Are you taking any medications that affect immune response, for MS or any other condition? That could be an overlooked answer.

Even though you're trying to eat healthfully, there could still be something you're missing in your diet, something you're out of balance on (e.g., fruit juice sounds healthy but it's just an extra load of sugar, which is inflammatory), some contributory aspect of your individual body chemistry, or some other environmental situation you're exposed to. But MS itself? No.
          This is interesting. And I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond! I am currently taking Balcofen. And have had steroid IV treatments. I've been following the Wahls Protocol diet which is anti-inflammatory, for the last few months. My doctor would like me to be on Copaxone and I am still considering this as a treatment option for me. I am newly diagnosed (Nov 2015) and so I am just learning to navigate my way through this. I agree that the individual body chemistry is off somewhere. I'm going to have to think about this! Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X