Visit to ENT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit to ENT

I have an appointment with an ENT in a couple of days, and am worried about what to expect. I'm going because I have been suffering from a hoarse voice for a couple of months now, and it continues. Did anyone have anesthesia when they went to the ENT? I'm concerned about how it might interact with MS. Is it painful? Any info/observations about an ENT exam would be very helpful.

Neither ENT that I have seen used anesthesia for exams. In fact the exams were so so 'nothing to it' that I honestly don't remember then well. They will check your ears (of course) and look at your throat.

The last exam that I had was a little uncomfortable (he checked my sinuses) but not painful. But your problem is not why I went to see them, so I have no idea what else will be involved.

Best of luck and I hope they find something to help you.

Comment

Visit to an ENT

I have visited an ENT. During my initial visit he sprayed something in my throat so he could pass his light down my esophagus more easily. It was strange not being able to swallow for a minute after the instrument was removed. Otherwise it was no problem whatsoever. I have also had an EGD procedure (upper endoscopy). That is somewhat more involved and was done in an outpatient surgery center. Google it for more complete information. I always make sure that every doctor I see knows I have MS - especially an anesthesiologist. The EGD procedure also went well and I had no unpleasant after effects.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Comment

My ENT visits are boring. The entire exam takes less than 10 minutes and it's not a big deal. They look in your ears, nose, feel your throat, and then insert a tube in your nose to look down your throat. My ENT uses a numbing solution in the nose before inserting the tube and it is best described as awkward, but not painful. If things are found additional procedures may be scheduled, but the initial visit should be cake.

Please let us know how it goes.

Comment

Thank you

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your messages. I went to the ENT today and he didn't find anything. He suggested a neck CT scan. I'm wondering if it's worth doing. What can be found on the CT scan that the doctor can't see during the throat exam? I already had a CT scan done this year for something different, and don't want to subject myself to further radiation. My hoarse voice actually first started two weeks after that first CT scan, so I am wondering if there was a connection. I'm thinking of going for a throat MRI instead, but am again wondering what imaging can show that the ENT already didn't see during the throat exam.

Comment

Working...
          X