OMG - I peed in my sleep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG - I peed in my sleep!

I know bladder incontinence is common in MS, and I've had more than a few times I've leaked a little. I fell asleep on the couch but during the night I woke to the feeling of wet pjs. So realizing I was 'leaking', which I immediately stopped, I got up, finished in the bathroom, washed up, changed pjs, checked the sofa which was ok & I went in the bed. This morning I discovered a large wet spot on the couch, I missed that during the night check.

I know there are products for this, which I'll use but how do I explain this to my husband? I don't want him to know because that's something that falls under 'patient' vs 'wife'. I'm afraid he'll view me differently sexually if he knows. HELP, I need suggestions!
    Possible MS 1993, RRMS, Dx 2007, SPMS 2013. Avonex - Oct '07 - Jul '12, Gilenya - Sept '12 to May '13, Tecfidera - June '13 to present. You see things as they are and you ask why..I dream of things that never were and I ask 'Why Not?!'

First of all, you are not alone with this issue. For me, it is the most frustrating thing to deal with!

I would like to recommend that you get a referral to a Urologist if you have not already done so. There are many meds out there that help with this issue and can work quite well. Either your PCP or Neuro can get a referral for you.

Also, please talk to your husband about this. Is better that he knows and understands. Communication is so important in a marriage, I'm sure he will understand once he knows the facts.

Fortunately, this is one ugly symptom of MS that can be dealt with. Good luck

Comment

No secrets

Tell your husband. The first time this happened to me, the bed was soaking wet, we were both soaking wet, I was crying in humiliation, I was absolutely mortified. My husband, bless his heart, just held me asking if I was ok, that was his only concern, that I was ok.

I take oxybutynin, 5 mg a couple of hours before bed and I reduce fluid intake. I also keep a towel next to the bed for those nights when standing is enough to get things flowing. Waterproof plastic sheet under the bedding helps as well.

Just remember it can always be worse.

Peace,
      Anna

Comment

Working...
      X