Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have sensory issues - certain noises drive me NUTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have sensory issues - certain noises drive me NUTS?

I was diagnosed in 2011. The past year or so I'm completed unnerved by certain noises. I can't stand for the TV to be too loud. If someone makes noise when eating (slurping, chewing, scraping fork on teeth) it drives me INSANE. I become very nervous if I'm in a room and more than one conversation is going on. I really try to not let these things bother me, but I truly cannot control that this makes me crazy!

Anyone else have this symptom? Is is MS related or something totally seperate?

Yes, definitely can be MS related. Many people (myself included) have a difficult time in situations where there is too much sensory stimulation. Nervous-system is already taxed - easier to get overload. So yes, not unusual.

For me, if too many people are talking or too many different sounds at once I cant think/fatigue takes over.

Loud, sudden noises cause my already screwy reflexes to all fire and I'll leap/jerk/drop whatever I am holding, sometimes painful leg muscle spasms too...ugh! I've never liked noise, hate it now. Sound of styrofoam rubbing together makes me want to jump out of my skin, same with fork scraping on plate.

Friends and family are used to me disappearing mid-get-together so I can recharge/rest for an hour away from the fray...then I come back able to participate.
    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Originally posted by ldwestmo View Post
      The past year or so I'm completed unnerved by certain noises. I can't stand for the TV to be too loud. If someone makes noise when eating (slurping, chewing, scraping fork on teeth) it drives me INSANE. I become very nervous if I'm in a room and more than one conversation is going on.
      I had the same issues with noise early on. Coincidentally, I was taking Avonex and Rebif at the time. As soon as I stopped taking interferons, the noise problems went away. So in my case it wasn't caused by MS -- it was the meds.

Comment

This is the ONLY thing good about having hearing loss . I am suppose to be wearing hearing aids, but really, why? Noise drives me CRAZY.

And I have developed that startle reflex thing too. Granddaughter scared the crap outta me last nite. I thought that she was asleep, and when I went to kitchen to get something to drink she followed me. Thank goodness that I had a plastic glass in my hand and was standing at the sink when she said something .

Sorry that you have this problem also.

Comment

I had this problem early on too, and to a degree still have it. It was almost a feeling of 'fear' when noises were too loud. I certainly can't stand the stereo up, or even on some days. When someone makes an unexpected noise I literally hit the roof with fright and then the leg spasms etc start.

I also now cannot concentrate on more than one thing at a time - when driving the car I can't have the radio on or else I am liable to drive through a red light. I won't tell how many times I've done this!!

Comment

hi oh yes me to for years now long time . i see i kew i was not alone in my hearing and vision loss any sounds does me in gets on ny nerves so bad even two at a time i seen to go in to downhill soooo cofusuesind i seem to melt and i shut down i cant soret it out. even this cofuse me there so many sencry things thats mest up idont where to start my reflexis ts was a hoot tho i ive triped or kicked or fallen or poked spiled something on eveyone i know out of the blue .... thank you so much im truly sorry tho to .

Comment

IM not only bothered by noise ( like a DJ or a band) , but I am also bothered by the activity around me if there are more than say, 15 or so people. Not only am I bothered by the noise, but MS has also taken the hearing in my right ear. There are nine kids at every family function, and that about does me in. I like to drive my wheelchair (. All of my family live within 1/2 mile) so that I have time to "cool down" on the way home.. Sorry for all the extra punctuation, my Dragon software likes to add this on its own.
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                Sorry for all the extra punctuation, my Dragon software likes to add this on its own.
                Sounds like the problems I have on my "smart phone". I KNOW which word I want to use, and HOW I want it spelled, but then the phone decides that it is smarter than I am and changes things. Unless I remember to check the message before hitting 'send' I end up having some VERY cryptic messages going out .

Comment

Working...
                X