When Walking Fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Walking Fails

Has anyone read the book When Walking Fails? My neuro is trying to convince me to give up walking and use a scooter which I am not doing at this time. She wants me to read this book to supposedly help me come to terms with what's happening to me by reading another persons MS journey. Just wondering if anyone read it and ,if so, what you thought about it.

Hi AriD:

Originally posted by AriD View Post
    My neuro ... wants me to read this book to supposedly help me come to terms with what's happening to me by reading another persons MS journey.
    I'm absolutely not a fan of people -- especially doctors -- telling other people to try to learn from other people's experiences, especially when used as a means of pushing their own opinion on someone. I think the pressures of social media are poisonous.

Other people aren't you, and their perceptions and lives aren't your perceptions and life. It can only serve to lead you down a path your shouldn't be going down. When you need to be doing something or change what you're doing, you'll know when it's right for you. And if it isn't right, the only way you can learn is from your own experience. If you wanted to ride a scooter instead of giving up walking, you would have already done it based on your own reasons, perceptions and experiences.

I've never learned anything from other people's experiences because my experiences and perceptions are completely different, and my MS is uniquely my own.

Just wondering if anyone read it and ,if so, what you thought about it.
    Even reading books can't be based on someone else's experience or opinions.

Have you ever read the book reviews at Amazon or some other site? Two people can read the same book with exactly the same words and have completely opposite opinions about what they read. For example, one person says that ALL the author talks about is blah, blah, blah, and the other person says that the author NEVER talks about blah, blah, blah. And one person thinks that's good, and the other person thinks that's bad, having nothing to do with their opinion about what is too much or never discussed.

So my opinion is not to waste your time asking what other people's opinions about a book are, or to decide whether to read a book based on other people's opinions. Their perceptions and experiences aren't your perceptions and experiences. They could be completely the opposite of yours and could lead you down the wrong path because you think you should believe what people say about a book or a topic just because they've said it.

The only way to know whether a book will be valuable to you is to read it yourself, without contaminating your experience with the opinions of other people that have absolutely nothing to do with your own life. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. You can't know in advance.

If you want to let your neurologist influence you by reading a book that expresses an opinion she wants you to have and you don't want to have, that's fine. But you should be completely aware of why you're doing it, and not buy into anything just because somebody says you should. And that includes every opinion I've expressed here.

Comment

Has anyone read the book When Walking Fails? My neuro is trying to convince me to give up walking and use a scooter which I am not doing at this time. She wants me to read this book to supposedly help me come to terms with what's happening to me by reading another persons MS journey. Just wondering if anyone read it and ,if so, what you thought about it.
      I went on Amazon and read some of the first chapter, the author is a Dr and professes her own experiences. Like previous poster said, you may or may not gain from reading the book.

Did your Dr actually tell you to just give up walking ? Don't EVER do that! As long as you can make your legs move, don't ever quit walking.

Someone once said on this forum that walking aids are there to make our lives easier. I was fighting accepting that I needed help, and that comment hit me smack in the forehead like those v8 commercials. Duh. Lol

I use a walker, helps me stay upright when I lose my balance. Out and about, I use a scooter.
      Karen

Comment

Thanks you guys. Good advice. I haven't even looked at this book but I know she's going to ask if I read it next time I see her. So thought I'd check if it's something anyone felt was worthwhile.
        I have never read an MS book before.
        And yes my doctor said I need to be using a scooter for anything other than short distances (I reminded her that I work full time). My PT says I need to use a walker at all times. At this point not following either advice. Taking one day at a time.

Comment

process

It is a process. If you had a mastectomy would you wear a prosthesis? Bad scenario, I know.

Using a walker is probably a safety factor and when you embrace it, it is a good idea to conserve your energy.

The chair is a way to conserve your energy, too. And, could be for safety reasons.

You should never quit walking, unless there is a truly severe safety issue. But, walk smartly, with a walker and maybe more smaller more frequent walks. It is amazing how much more open your world can become when you have a walker and scooter.

I finally (maybe) the walker or walking stick. Thinking of asking neuro for a scooter. I am tired of renting them when I need one.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I've not read it.

But

As some who has gone from struggling to cane to walker to wheelchair to scooter in five years, I feel like I need to chime in. I refused to use the cane for a while then only used my chair or walker as needed as I progressed. I completely agree with everyone above. Don't allow your neuro to bully you. Sounds like your pretty confident on your own. I made my own choices in my own time and am as happy as I can be about the quick progression. I do love my scooter; it allowed me to finish my degree, 10 classes in 3 semesters.
            Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

Comment

Working...
            X