Esophageal Dilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Esophageal Dilation

Mom's 78 and has been in the ER four times since November 2014 with choking on food. First visit was a 1.5" lo mein noodle and then a baby-size bite of a roasted mushroom. (We even rang in the New Year back at the ER-half of a homemade ravioli was the culprit.)

The gastro did an endoscope in the ER...he has now recommended a dilation because she has a stricture.

She's scheduled for next Thursday.

Mom's home care nurse (she has mostly MS patients) said today the procedure is helpful...but don't be surprised if it's a yearly event.

As you can all attest to, sadly, it's just one thing after another. Mom had a bad outcome with gamma knife surgery for an acoustic neuroma (chronic vertigo, hydrocephalus, programmable shunt implanted, revision-catheter not deep enough in her belly) and so, it is scary. All of it.

Thoughts?

Update.

Mom had the dilation yesterday. Seemed to tolerate the procedure well. No sore throat.

A balloon was dilated to open the stricture. She also has GERD and a hiatal hernia. Prescribed Pepcid for the next month.

Biopsy results next week. I will exhale then.

Comment

I'm glad to read that your mom came through the dilation OK. It's always unnerving when a loved one has to go through a procedure like that; but doubly so when it's just one in a series of problems.

I hope the biopsy results are good and that you and your mom both get a breather from all this stress.
      Sx since 2007; Dx Oct. 2014. Started Copaxone after Dx...praying that it's working!

Comment

Biopsy results in-no precancerous cells, no celiac (one auto immune disease she doesn't have but I do). GERD. But a bit anemic-10.5. Have contacted her PCP. Advised to take industrial strength Prilosec for three months. An itsy-bitsy exhale.

Comment

Working...
        X