Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another chest infection - swallowing issues too

Hi
    I've been choking on crumbs, drinks, potato, rice etc. for the last 6 weeks. Each time I've done my best to cough up the bit that's 'gone down the wrong way' and most of the time I think I have. But I'm a bit upset about this problem - I think it might be dysphagia. I have had very short bouts of it before (16+ years with MS) but never this long.

I've been feeling not quite right in the last few weeks and have been coughing phlegm a lot (sorry!). Today I really started to feel unwell and the GP has given me antibiotics for a chest infection. I told him about the swallowing food issue but he said nothing.

What should I do now? Can this be helped?
    My neuro rarely gives anything unless you can't physically move or see, and I've never responded to steroids well anyway. I'm on Tecfidera about 2 months and physically I've been feeling strong - apart from this.

Help!

hi, guzzy

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but please feel that you are not alone.

I am seeing an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor (in addition to neuro, gp, etc.) for an issue with a swollen salivary gland; during my last visit I asked her about my own troubles with swallowing and she suggested that I keep a very close eye on it and let her know immediately if I have troubles with major coughing bouts or things feeling like they are going down the wrong way. In their practice is a Speech Therapist who would do what they call a modified barium swallow where I'd eat different textures and they would film it to examine just exactly what is "numb" and not working, then give me exercises to do to help.

She did confirm that MS can cause aspiration pneumonia which sounds like what you're going through with the antibiotics. I too had pneumonia "out of the blue" once where I had no clue that I was even sick. It was pre-MS-dx but with antibiotics I got better and thought nothing of it again until the flare-up of MS that led to my having major troubles swallowing.

I'm also aware that an Occupational Therapist can work with you to help control swallowing issues. Me? I'll stick with this ENT practice and use those doctors to help me get better. Depending on your insurance plan, you may need a referral from your neuro or gp or pcp. I find that having a doctor give me a name of someone in town that he's worked with helps ease a lot of stress.

Best of luck to you! And, best of luck to me! This is all so scare-y to me. I enjoy breathing.........

Comment

Hi Zoysia
      thanks for your kind reply, it is a very scarey symptom.

I phoned the MS Nurse connected to the clinic I go to. She said the same thing as you and thinks it's MS-related. I've gone very hoarse too, so it looks like it's a relapse for me.

MS Nurse has referred me to a Speech and Language therapist here who is going to do a full assessment on me in a few weeks' time. I hope the problem is gone by then, but knowing the waiting lists, it could be a few months before I see somebody. I'm in Ireland so everyone can get free care through the public health system - thank goodness - but sometimes it takes time.

Thanks again Zoysia, I hope you don't get this symptom again either, and keep well.

Comment

I hope things get better for you. I had to go to a speech language pathologist who confirmed I was aspirating everything I ate or drank. I had the same phlem thing too. If need be they can put in a feeding tube to bypass your upper airway.

I wish you the best, let us know how it goes.

Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Lisa, sorry to hear you have this too.

I'm still waiting for the appointment but the relapse seems to be lessening a bit. Yesterday I made it through dinner with no choking. But still I know I need this assessed because it could be happening a lot more than I know.

Appreciate your reply. x

Comment

Working...
          X