swallowing and sleeping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swallowing and sleeping?

I had a disturbing night. I had let the bedroom get too hot, and when I lay down to sleep I had a horrible time trying to find a position where I wouldn't cough on my own saliva.

It finally resolved about 2 am, I had removed almost all blankets and the ambient temperature had cooled down. But while it lasted it was horrible. I tried lying in every position I could think of. I tried elevating on many pillows. This is crazy.

Any practical advice from people who have been there? I just saw my doctor. I have a neurology appointment in two weeks. I think this is heat sensitivity not a flare, but who knows. I've had a lot of symptoms that made me angry, frustrated, sad, but this is the first time I've been scared. I am much too young for this. (Like so many here I know... )

It sounds like you may be having trouble swallowing, so much so that when you are sleeping some of your saliva is seeping into your windpipe (trachea) and making you cough. This can be a sign of trouble as it lasted for the majority of the night, but the good news is that it got better the rest of the night. The best thing to do is speak with your neurologist about this in detail. It is a neurological thing. It could be just garden variety reflux but you can test for that by buying GERD medications OTC and taking them for about a week and see if that settles down.

Take care
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

trouble swallowing

I just had a terrible night, I woke up coughing and then having reflux and then almost vomiting. I had been having trouble swallowing the past few weeks, but this was terrible, had to prop myself up on the couch and sleep upright. Today I cannot eat anything without it wanting to come back up. Maybe this will help me lose weight.

Comment

Rose54, I am not a doctor but to me that sounds like an emergency. I would either call my neuro asap or go to the Emergency Department, or both.

Comment

I´m not having trouble with swallowing, but do wake up to a very wet pillow Anyone else inadvertently drooling while sleeping?

Comment

This happened to me well before diagnosis. Maybe 8 years ago. It lasted about three years, then the drooling stopped. I suspect it was ms. More recently, I have had muscle issues with my cheek on one side and pain in my face and eye.

Comment

In addition to what I already wrote, I would check in with a doctor in case it is something like stroke.

Comment

Working...
              X