MS & Migraines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS & Migraines?

Okay, so I don't know how 'frequent' it is for people with MS to suffer from migraines... but I had never had one until I started having symptoms ... that led to me being diagnosed with MS.

I'm currently on Fioricet to help w/ my severe migraines, along with some Over The Counter (OTC) meds... It's getting to the point where nothing is really helping, and I have a dull migraine in the background and nothing can actually make it GO AWAY...

So, as you may or may not know, I attend the Conferences for MSWorld's Conference Coverage.
    When I was walking around the 'exhibit hall' at one of the conferences last year, I picked up some information about Relpax...
    Has anyone tried this, have personal experience with it?
    Also, just any suggestions about how to help w/ MS Migraines would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is a link to Relpax: http://www.relpax.com

xoxo
    Ashley Ringstaff
    Living with MS since 8/30/10

Relpax always worked wonderfully for me. I don't know why, but my insurance suddenly decided that it was too expensive and switched to Zomig. Turns out that works well too.

Imitrex always made me feel like I was shaking from the inside out and it would make my nausea worse.

My doc now prescribes the highest dose, and I am able to cut the pill into four. Saves a lot of money, and I only have to take what I need.

The pill and a nice hot cup of coffee or tea usually does it. If not, I can take another quarter. I suffered for years with OTC meds and I feel your pain.

Funny, I never thought about it because I was only diagnosed 4 years ago, but when I think back to my first MS symptoms...my migraines started around the same time.

Comment

I've suffered from Migraines for over 20 years and is what led to my eventual MS diagnosis just last year. Haven't tried any of the above mentioned meds, but several courses of Topimirate and Gabipentin with no relief. Luckily, a 100 mg Imitrex and 800 mg will knock back just about any Migraine I get. Unfortunately I get 20 plus migraines a month even after I've identified as many triggers as possible, Barometric pressure seems to be a big trigger for me. Additionally, daily pressure headaches. Admittedly many were analgesic rebound headaches.

Lately I was introduced to the term "Status Migraineosis" Sp? and the cycle needs to be broken.

Luckily (I guess) in my case, my relapses appear in the form of severe headaches due to cervical dystonia. My most recent attack/relapse led to a course of 3 days worth of Valium every 8 hours to "calm" the brain stem. Baclofen to relax the muscles in the neck to relieve the pressure in my head and beta blockers. It's like a switch was flipped. I haven't had a headache worth noting in over a week.

Best of luck to all of you and I truly feel your pain.
      Dx CIS 8/20/13. Started Copaxone 8/28/13.

Comment

I have had migraine headaches, both simple and complex since childhood (run in the family, we all get them) but I am the only one with MS so far.

I found mine were 100x worse with estrogen-based birth control pills, any caffeine, nitrate , MSG, or alcohol.

I take a beta blocker, avoid triggers, and abort at 1st sign of prodrome (sparkling lights, or a large glowing green half moon shape) with Maxalt and naproxen.

I only get 1 or less a month now, usually weather and hormone-related. Before I learned what my triggers are, I had 2 or so a week (ugh!)
        RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
        X