Finding the right dentist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding the right dentist

Spent the morning getting several teeth filled. I had a new problem. The dentist and the technician had the chair set to lying flat and I was choking on my spit. In the end they gave me the suction to hold and use on myself because they couldn't both work on me and provide enough suction. I needed it roughly 90% of the time.

Does anyone have advice for finding a dentist who can handle swallowing issues? These guys are nice, and skilled at teeth, but I think I need more.

Ask for a recommendation from MDs or staff in ear-nose-throat clinic or speech pathology/therapy clinic. My mom had ALS for a number of years and we got a wonderful dental referral from these sources (she had great difficulty swallowing etc). The dentist did let her sit up-rightish in her chair and used a soft collar and prop between teeth to help rest her jaw and neck muscles during cleaning and making holding the suction device easier all-round. The dentist should me making YOU as comfy as possible, you are the client!
    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Kate,

Thank you for this advice. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. ALS is another, worse, monster.

I really appreciate your answer.

Comment

You're very welcome, I hope it's helpful
        RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
        X