Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering...laryngitis caused by 'fatigue'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering...laryngitis caused by 'fatigue'?

Maybe this isn't a new insight, or maybe I am way off base, but I was wondering about the laryngitis that I get, at times. Many times, it seems to happen after I have been talking 'a lot'...and of course, with this demyelinating disease (still in limbo), I don't think it is really a 'lot' of talking...but it is enough to cause my throat to close up.

Anyway...after reading about how many speech issues are 'physical' in nature, then maybe our tongues, lips, throat muscles, are getting 'fatigued', which then causes the laryngitis.

Well, that may not be a new idea to most of you, I guess, but it was an 'aha' moment for me! Anyway...thanks for listening. It is nice to have a 'safe' place just to talk and 'process' ideas, and symptoms, here! Thanks again...Jan.

Originally posted by gazdajl View Post
    Maybe this isn't a new insight, or maybe I am way off base, but I was wondering about the laryngitis that I get, at times. Many times, it seems to happen after I have been talking 'a lot'...and of course, with this demyelinating disease (still in limbo), I don't think it is really a 'lot' of talking...but it is enough to cause my throat to close up.

Anyway...after reading about how many speech issues are 'physical' in nature, then maybe our tongues, lips, throat muscles, are getting 'fatigued', which then causes the laryngitis.
    Hi gazdajl,

Laryngitis is pretty common for teachers, who of course, talk a lot. So, it makes sense that the throat muscles get fatigued. Just my unscientific 2¢'s!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks, Kimba! I like your 'scientific' analysis, and recommendation!

Love and Light...Jan.

Comment

laryngitis and MS...??

Hi all,

I was just diagnosed in March of this year. In mid January-mid February I had laryngitis that lasted for basically going on 4 weeks. (I also am a teacher). However, I NEVER in my life have had laryngitis that lasted more than like 1-2 days. With the "laryngitis" I felt extremely exhausted and really felt like if I could just sleep and not talk for about 5 days I could get better. Well, finally I saw my doctor who put me on an antibiotic and PREDNISONE (oral steroid). The laryngitis got better. (I hadn't been diagnosed as having MS at this time).

A few days go by, and then I start getting "eye socket pain." Which worsened and I was diagnosed with Optic Neuritis in late February.

The optic neuritis diagnosis was what led to my MRI and seeing of a Neurologist (and diagnosis with MS).

When I saw the MS neurologist, she seemed unimpressed by my 4 week laryngitis. (It didn't seem that she was even considering that as part of my MS). I've since read about some of the voice issues with MS.

Anyway, sorry for such a ramble. But, I am just wondering: would it seem like the 4-week laryngitis that I had was part of the whole MS flare that led to the Optic Neuritis? With the laryngitis I had, I was able to talk, but my voice was weak and it felt exhausting trying to project it to teach.
        RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
        (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
        Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

I have voice issues. I'd compare my voice issues to hoarseness, rather than laryngitis. I may start out strong, but the longer I talk the more the hoarseness sets in, and things go downhill. A couple notables where you could hear differences Annette Funicello had issues with volume when speaking...newscaster Neil Cavuto has had voice/hoarseness problems for years. Also Richard Cohen has voice issues, his voice is weak and his voice rather "choppy". You can search youtube and I know you'll find videos of all three and you'll be able to hear how they sound.

You might want to ask your neuro for a referral to a speech therapist. They are great at identifying voice issues. There are certain "tests" for evaluation of your voice, that reveal what type of problems are there. For instance, there's a certain amount of time you should be able to maintain a tone or word, and they measure that. It's really interesting, how they use different signs to interpret what kind of issue you're having and what's causing it.

Here's a link to some good information about speech therapists:

http://multiplesclerosis.net/treatme...eech-problems/

Comment

laryngitis caused by fatigue...

Thanks for replying!

Just curious--does staying hydrating, drinking a good amount of water have any effect on your hoarseness--as you talk?

A speech therapist is actually a good idea, and at the time I was having the "episode" wasn't something that I considered. I think that is a good suggestion. Also, I wasn't aware of the famous people with voice issues.

Thanks again for replying!!!
            (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)

Comment

I'm hyper-hydrated

Due to UTI issues, I literally have a glass of water by my side all the time. It helps to keep the UTIs from "attacking" and helps with dry mouth which I notice occasionally (due to meds.)
              If anyone is having issues with "dry mouth" from meds, the line of Biotene products are excellent.

So I don't think hydration has much to do with the hoarseness.

It's totally predictable, talk a little, no hoarseness, the more I talk the more raspy I sound. I imagine it's a fatigue of the muscles involved with having a strong voice. I also have enunciation
              problems, and there again, the longer I talk the more slurred my speech becomes.

I have a lesion that affects my lower cranial nerves, and that's what I imagine causes the problem.

I can't post links to youtube on the forum, but I went to youtube and looked for examples:

Search:

Richard Dohen and Meredith Viera on CNN 11/21/11
              (his raspy voice is similar to what I have but I think my volume is better than his.)

Neil Cavuto's Personal Perspective on Multiple Sclerosis
              ( you can hear the raspy tone increasing the longer he speaks)

Friends visit Annette Funicello at home 1998
              (she has pretty much lost her ability to speak, so her friends speak for her, but
              at 1:40 into the clip she speaks briefly, and her problem seems to be with volume
              and tremelo)

Comment

Mis use and overuse!

Hi there!

I had it for a year many years ago and it end up vocal nodules (benign). Go see and ENT and the can test to see if any are visable. Mine were large enough I ended up with surgery. I was a vocalist and a sales person so I used my vocal cords ald and misused them. If your problem persists.....I'd check it out.

Diamond

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                RRMS
                Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

laryngitis and MS...??

I ended up seeing an ENT and everything checked out okay. I hadn't thought of a Speech Therapist as being able to provide valuable information though. I think if I do end up having the laryngitis happen in the severity (ongoing duration) that it happened to me in January/February I will try to see a Speech Therapist!

Comment

I was reading all the comments here, I thought I would share the paper my speech therapist hung up next to my computer:

1. Keep well hydrated

2. Relax and visualize your throat in a wide open position

3. Don't forget to breathe and use" easy onset" technique

4. Don't compete with background noise!

5. Face to face communication

6. Use your voice amplifier when possible

I hope this helps someone!

7. Take your time

Comment

Hoarseness

Diagnosed with MS twelve years ago. One of my newest symptoms has been hoarseness. It began a couple of months ago and is present everyday now, usually worse later in the day/evening. I did not pay much attention to it at first and did not correlate it with MS until about two weeks ago.

I looked online and discovered it can be a symptom of MS and other neurological diseases. I know that it is due to MS because I tried different techniques; such as not talking, resting, discontinuing a medication etc and my voice is still hoarse and becoming weaker. Just another frustrating MS issue to live with.

Comment

Working...
                      X