SPEECH: Needs its own forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPEECH: Needs its own forum

More than one cause for speech impairment, and muscle control is one of them. It isn't technically cognitive in origin. Of late I have been getting tongue-tied trying to articulate muoltisyllable words, and it isn't because I am not remembering the word, failing to remember its meaning, or simply grasping at straws trying to think of what to say. It is a motor control issue in that I cannot articulate the numerous sounds that the tongue, lips, throat, and diaphragm are supposed to regulate. I tried to say refrigerator this morning. I failed. Got stalled after the second syllable.

I read up on the topic, and while a quick Google search yields info, one site had this to say:

By: MSF Staff and reviewed by the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation Medical Advisory Board

The conversation skips along until… the long pause. That word that just won’t come out, or the odd quality to your voice that starts when it does, can be frustrating and embarrassing.

As many as 40 percent of people who are diagnosed with MS will face speech difficulties at some time. The most common problems are loudness, a harsh quality to the voice, and problems with articulation and pitch.

The symptom could hit hard with a relapse, or come and go several times a day on a regular basis. It might be so subtle that your spouse or doctor notices it before you do, or so frustrating that you don’t want to leave the house.

MS AND SPEECH

Human speech ends with the mouth but starts with the brain. The lungs, vocal cords and tongue all play a role, as well as the lips, throat and jaw. That leaves several places along the way that speaking can get complicated when MS is involved.

“When there is damage to the nerves that stimulate the muscles, they may not work as quickly or precisely,” according to Bonnie Schaude, outpatient speech pathologist at the MS Institute at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Ga.

Motor speech disorders, including those most commonly associated with MS, are called dysarthrias... read more here: (http://www.msfocus.org/article-detai...?articleID=358)

This is of concern to me because I am a vocalist, a singer for a duo. I wouldn't mind reading others' thoughts about impaired speech. I took Tysabri for over 5 years without incident but went off it due to JCV+ and length of time on treatment. I now take Gilenya. My neuro scheduled me an MRI on Tuesday.

Anyone care to comment on personal experience? Thanks.

Hi Tarbaby and thanks for the suggestion! There is a new sub-forum for dysarthria (speech problems)and dysphagia (swallowing problems) which are closely related as similar muscles groups are involved. I will move this over to the sub-forum.

I hope others will come along to share similar problems and suggestions.
    Take care
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

the tysabri washout

Originally posted by Tarbaby View Post
      ...This is of concern to me because I am a vocalist, a singer for a duo. I wouldn't mind reading others' thoughts about impaired speech. I took Tysabri for over 5 years without incident but went off it due to JCV+ and length of time on treatment. I now take Gilenya. My neuro scheduled me an MRI on Tuesday.

Anyone care to comment on personal experience? Thanks.
      I have been on Tysabri for approximately 4 years and M JCV positive. I have been responding very well to tysabri
      neurologist "Thinks" I will respond to Gilenya the same way; the washout is what had me spooked and still does.did you have any issues with the washout? I know that Copaxone can still be used or some other treatments to try and offset the washout. I have tried the other treatments or the stopgap treatments so to speak, and I did not respond well. My neurologist was unable to give me much assurance either way… So not very helpful There (I do understand where she is coming from However)
      I am still leaving the option open, however I am still using tysabri. How did you handle the washout?

Comment

Arktik:
        IIRC, my neuro had me on a course of steroids very shortly after stopping Tysabri, and I commenced Gilenya about two months after that. After being on Gilenya for one month I developed a relapse and he put me on steroids again. My relapse was what inspired this thread actually. In this relapse I developed speech issues I'd never had before, and the MRI's told my neuro that my brain is a little hotbed of demyelination right now.

I did some research on the period of time when patients discontinue Tysabri and go on Gilenya and the general idea I came away with was that a large percentage of Gilenya patients who went off Tysabri before starting Gilenya experienced increased relapse activity in the first year after discontinuing Tysabri, and that the Gilenya was not viewed as having helped tamp down the relapse activity.

It seems to be the standard of care to continue the Gilenya as long as patients do not exhibit an intolerance to it. My neuro was on top of the relapse as soon as I reported it and also had me tested for JC titer, being cautious of potential for delayed development of PML. SO far, so good.I think I'm on the tail end of this relapse and I hope the Gilenya does it's thing. I know it does something because I am having Gilenya side effects as noted in the literature: shortness of breath primarily. Thankfully, no infections to speak of yet.

Comment

Working...
        X