Throat tightness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throat tightness

Hi all! I'm new to this site, but have some questions regarding perhaps a new symptom. For the past few weeks, I've been experiencing tightness in my throat and hoarseness by the end of the day. I initially thought it was a reaction to a new med I was put on for prinzmetal's angina. Doc told me to stop the medication, but tightness is still there. Bothers me enough that my appetite is affected, because the sensation is so unpleasant. ANY thoughts would be appreciated!! (Btw, I was diagnosed with MS at the beginning of 2012)

It could still be a medication reaction ... I had the same thing in October. Finally saw an ENT and I may have developed GERD when I had the reaction. He is treating me for GERD for 2 months -- good news is, if that's what it is, and it was because of medication, it should clear up. Same symptoms as you, but I also cough after eating, choke on food and have swallowing trouble. (had no idea this could be caused by GERD until I saw an ENT.)

Did you look up side effects for the med you were on? Check for the rare ones as well. Inflammation in throat/vocal cords is an (un)common one generally, but it's often there.

I am being treated far too late for this just because my family doctor assumed that it was something pertaining to "ms" -- but not everything is. (Ms in quotes b/c I am in limbo) I would pursue the med angle as well as checking with your doctor in case it is an ms thing.

Comment

Thanks for the response! I had stopped the suspicious med (Ranexa) about a week ago. I would have assumed it would have been out of my system by now, but maybe not? I'd been on Copaxone for the past year, but my husband and I decided to stop it recently due to the pain and bruising (during and for a few days after), plus the lumps it left all over my body. He just can't do it anymore, as I usually ended up in tears.

We're actually going to a hospital in Jersey that has a specialized MS unit on Monday, for perhaps some new insight and/or meds. While I really like my neuro, we felt he didn't provide enough info specific to same. I would indicate what I thought may have been a relapse (or new symptoms), but because my 2nd mri showed no new lesions, maybe it was "in my head". (I DETEST that phrase!!)

Anyhow - hope to get perhaps some more thoughts as to this (perhaps) new symptom of the throat tightness. Of all the ms conditions, this is the one that absolutely petrifies me..labored breathing, swallowing, tightness, gaggy - I'm a wreck.........thanks for listening.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Additionally, I underwent an endoscopy 2 weeks ago, which showed nothing. I've also been on Nexium for the past several years, as I WAS experiencing heartburn symptoms.

Comment

Working...
        X